General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Right Front Blinker Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Right Front Blinker Question (Fixed)

Front Right Blinker stopped working replaced the bulb and the flasher, still not working.

I checked the actual wires to the socket for power and the blue wire for the blinker is not receiving power when you switch to the blinker.

The driving light does have power (brown wire) and it lights up just fine.

What else can I check???????

Last edited by 2000Z28M6; 04-20-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

TTT can anyone help? I'm unable to pass inspection at this point.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry I don't have any additional info for you. But I feel your pain. Luckily I had my car re-inspected as soon as I fixed mine last. Cause 3 weeks later my blinker doesn't work again...
Changed the housing, socket, bulbs, dealer worked on them...
I'm going to just do the !turn signal mod for now on.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont think its the actual switch since the back blinker does come on.

All I know its that when I orginally noticed it. It wouldnt make the flashing sound on the right side. Like the flasher was bad. However oddly enough the left side did make the flashing sound.

At that point I changed the flasher and the back light started working, but not the front.

Also inside, in the gauge cluster the arrow for the right doesnt come on? Since I have the new flasher installed, when I put it to the right side it now makes the flashing sound, the rear one flashes, but the arrow doesnt come on. And of course my front right is still out.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok guys. I took out the DRL module tested for power from the switch and there is no power coming in, but the rear still turns on, WTF??? How can the back still turn on?

Anyway is it the switch? If it was the switch wouldn't the light in question flash when i test the hazards? Cuz if i turn the hazards on, the light in question doesnt flash.

I'm confused?????ANy help appreciated/
Old 04-19-2008, 02:45 PM
Staging Lane

had the same problem awhile back ended up being kinda funny, i would use a autowash and it was getting the socket wet , not a lot just a little moisture and everything went to **** i changed my flashers also before a figured out it was getting wet lol guess i was timing it just right that before the socket would dry i was washing it agian pretty stupid on my part lol
Old 04-20-2008, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Jerry Rigged for now. Check this out.

Took WhiteBird00's advice. Tested power going into the turn signal switch purple wire (base of steering column), looked good.

After that there are 4 wires coming out of the switch harness, for the blinkers see below.
Light Blue - To Left Front blinker
Dark Blue - To Right Front blinker
Yellow - To Rear Left blinker
Green - To Rear Right blinker

All of them had power when testing the blinkers except Dark Blue - Right Front.

I guess this identifies the switch is breaking the circuit somewhere and it needs to be replaced?

Either way, I didnt feel like tearing apart the steering wheel to replace the switch.

Since the rear right was working and flashing, for now I just jumped the Green - Rear Right output to the Dark Blue - Right Front.

Hey! now the Front Right blinker works cuz its getting power from the Rear Right.

All I care about is passing inspection at this point. So tomorrow I'm taking her in.

On a side note my experience shows that if the switch goes bad it can take out a single blinker not just one side as the harness has individual outputs to each blinker.

Also I think what possibly happened and this is just a thought..... Maybe the right front got wet and shorted out the switch.

I hope this info helps any out there in the future.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:56 AM
Teching In

Default Reviving

Reviving an oldie here. I'm having the same issue with RF turn signal and flasher. Not getting power down at the wire at the socket but Replaced the socket, bulb, and flasher anyway and no go. Does anyone have any pics of where 2000z28m6 is referring to on the turn signal switch wires and how to remove the plastic covers on the steering column to get to those wires?
Old 04-12-2020, 05:27 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by talthage
Reviving an oldie here. I'm having the same issue with RF turn signal and flasher. Not getting power down at the wire at the socket but Replaced the socket, bulb, and flasher anyway and no go. Does anyone have any pics of where 2000z28m6 is referring to on the turn signal switch wires and how to remove the plastic covers on the steering column to get to those wires?
This is not the best thread for you.

Please post what kind of car you have. (There are some differences.)

First: Did you try your hazards? Do they blink? Do your DRL's work?

Before you go at the steering column, as the OP did here, you need to test the DRL module. (It sits downstream from the turn signal switch.)
Old 04-12-2020, 09:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99
This is not the best thread for you.

Please post what kind of car you have. (There are some differences.)

First: Did you try your hazards? Do they blink? Do your DRL's work?

Before you go at the steering column, as the OP did here, you need to test the DRL module. (It sits downstream from the turn signal switch.)
2000 trans am

Hazards work everywhere except RF.
DRL's work all around.

If the turn signal switch wires are easy/quick to get to, I figured I could test the wire for the RF turn signal. I'm just not entirely sure where on the bottom side of the steering column the wires are and how to remove the plastic pieces covering the column.
Old 04-13-2020, 04:14 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by talthage
2000 trans am

Hazards work everywhere except RF.
DRL's work all around.

If the turn signal switch wires are easy/quick to get to, I figured I could test the wire for the RF turn signal. I'm just not entirely sure where on the bottom side of the steering column the wires are and how to remove the plastic pieces covering the column.
Your turn signal switch is probably not the issue then. (If it was, your hazard switch would bypass it and get the deal done.)

You can trace everything from the DRL module. This is a DRL disable video, but it shows how to get to it:

If you create an account at Autozone.com, you will gain access to the full schematics for the car in their repair section. In there, you can find the diagram for the DRL's and turn signals and make sense of the wires going into the module. (These include wires from the turn signlal switch and hazard switch.)
Old 04-13-2020, 04:25 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

If both of your DRL lamps work properly and especially if the right one stays on bright instead of flashing with the turn signal then the most likely culprit is the DRL module as wssix99 suggested. It has internal relays which switch the front lamps between DRL use and turn signal as appropriate. Like any mechanical device, those relays can fail and the right one may be stuck in the DRL position. The DRL module is easy to access and test. It is mounted to the defroster duct behind the radio.

Test it by unplugging the connector with the pairs of light blue and dark blue wires. In each pair, there is a wire with a white stripe that comes from the turn signal switch and a matching solid blue wire which goes to the front lamps. The dark blue pair is right front and the light blue pair is left front. Use a test light to determine if you get flashing power on the dark blue/white wire when the right turn signal is on. If so, you know the turn signal switch is working properly. You can use a short piece of wire to connect the dark blue wire to the dark blue/white wire and see if the front right signal flashes. If it doesn't then you have a break in the dark blue wire somewhere between there and the lamp. If it does then you know the DRL module is the problem.

The turn signal switch wires are on the steering column under the dash (not where the lever is) and require no trim removal except perhaps the large knee panel under the column. I'm sure you will go right there despite the advice to check the DRL module first because I've found it's almost impossible to convince someone of a different source of a problem once they get a particular idea in their heads. You might get lucky and find that the switch is the problem but you probably won't and you will end up doing the DRL diagnostics anyway. No problem... it's your time.

Old 04-13-2020, 05:16 PM
Teching In

I appreciate the help from both of you. I'll check the DRL module first and report back with my findings. Thanks again for the details.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Fellas, it was the DRL module, so I bypassed the wires for both turn signals. Thank again for the help from both of you and the details, whitebird.
Old 04-15-2020, 06:47 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Congratulations! Bypassing is a good solution if you don't mind giving up DRLs. Considering that replacement modules are several hundred dollars depending where you look, it's certainly the most economical solution. If you decide you want one, the part number is 10407669 - $363 on Amazon, $277 on ebay, discontinued and unavailable from the big GM parts sites.

Old 04-15-2020, 07:21 AM
Save the manuals!

If you get a new one, I'm interested in getting a hold of a bad one. (So no-one throw away the part!) I want to see if I can do a write up for repair of the relays inside.

Or if anyone wants to take a chance on a rebuild, I would be happy to ship the repaired unit back.