General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Noticeable Power Loss

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 05:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noticeable Power Loss

Recently my car has been making a clanging noise from one of the cats like something is loose inside of it. The car drives normal under light throttle, but if you get on it, there is a noticeable power loss. It feels like as if I was driving a 6 cylinder. I am thinking its a clogged cat but I was just wondering what everyone else thought. Suggestions please?
Old 04-25-2008, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

clogged cat. get a new one or just remove your cats.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if ur intake is also getting hot quickly or possibly melting thats a clogged cat! also if ur cats are getting red hot at night then its clogged! i was in the same position as you and i ended up gutting my cats! then later found out my problem was a cracked spark plug! the ceramic portion was all cracked and was grounding! also try going up a hill and see if you feel it harder to go up the hill then b4
Old 04-25-2008, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

sorry to hijack thread but how can u tell if a spark plug is cracked without removing them ie: noise wise?
Old 04-25-2008, 08:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 02BlackMachine
sorry to hijack thread but how can u tell if a spark plug is cracked without removing them ie: noise wise?
to keep a long story short, i changed the plugs and had a slight hesitation afterwords, i put new tr55IX and new MSD wires gapped at .055 i was told the hesitation was from clogged cats maybe because it only happened at low rpms, and i couldent find any vacumm leaks so that was not it either! i was told my drivers side cat had been clogged since i recently (without knowing) installed a defective o2 sensor and it made my car run rich as hell, and that extra fuel clogged the bank 1 cat! after i gutted the cats i got angry because i had the same hesitation! on my way to the shop to get my ses codes tuned, my check engine light came on for 5 minites then shut off by itsself! so when i came home i checked the codes and it was PO304 cylinder #4 misfire, so then i decided to swap the coils, that dident do anything! then i tried to see if the injector was working, which it was because i can hear the pulseing! then finally after decideing to remove the plug i found out the ceramic was shattered into peices! after replacing that plug everything was perfect. lol so much for the short story
Old 04-25-2008, 08:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

If your number 8 plug is arching does it mean u need to replace plug, or new wires?
Old 04-29-2008, 12:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LT1Formula26
If your number 8 plug is arching does it mean u need to replace plug, or new wires?
it could be either the wire or the plug! try switching the wires around