General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Air Conditioning woes...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 08:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Conditioning woes...

So I tried to re-charge my A/C system over the weekend in hopes that it would fix my non existant cold air system. Well it didn't work, but I did notice that the A/C dryer i believe (the silver cylinder looking thing) is getting cold and condensating when the A/C is turned on. I assume this is a good thing, but doesn't explain why it's still blowing out hot air into the cabin. Does anyone have any clue what I should check/do next? Maybe a disconnected hose or something stupid like that?? Thanks
Old 04-29-2008, 07:19 AM
Staging Lane

Any ideas??
Old 04-29-2008, 08:59 AM
Banned

Re-charge? What happened to the charge that was in it? Leaked out? What happens when you get a hole in your tire, do you connect an air hose and expect it to fill back up and hold air?

You put the refrigerant in and seen the accumulator sweating, then it leaked out and is blowing hot again.

Find out where the refrigerant leaked out, pull a vacuum with a vacuum pump and weigh in the proper amount of refrigerant. Technically when the systems been open to outside air you need to replace the accumulator.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss

Find out where the refrigerant leaked out, pull a vacuum with a vacuum pump and weigh in the proper amount of refrigerant. Technically when the systems been open to outside air you need to replace the accumulator.
What he said. Buy some refrigerant with the UV dye and run it for a day or two. Then borrow a blacklight from a hippie/stoner and check it out.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:39 AM
Staging Lane

I guess I should have mentioned, the accumulator was condensating before the re-charge. That's what was weird. Also, I bought the car with no a/c so I'm not exactly sure when the last time it was working really was. I just wanted to see if all it needed was a little bit of re-frig.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:12 AM
Banned

Get a gauge on it, they have some fairly low price ones at some stores. See what the pressure is at about 2000 rpm with the AC fan on high and post the pressure here. Does it blow good air inside?
Did you use a vacuum pump on it? Does the compressor stay running or does it turn on and off frequently?
Did you check the orifice tube?
You are working on an LS1 f body right?
Old 04-29-2008, 10:16 AM
Staging Lane

Yea, I'm working on the Z28. The problem is I'm not to tech savvy when it comes to all these things haha. It just blows hot air into the cabin. When I turn the A/C on, I can hear the click, but it doesn't sound like the compressor is actually coming on. (I.E. in my Focus, you can hear a "humm" when the A/C is on, I don't hear this at all in the Camaro.) I know I should probably just take it to a shop, but I'm pretty sure that could end up costing out the ***... so I wanted to make sure it wasnt something I could fix.