General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Driver side window, sheered the rivets...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver side window, sheered the rivets...

Ok, not sure if this has happened to anyone else, i tried searching, but i couldn't find anything.

The 4-5 rivets / nuts that hold the window track (circled in the attached picture) (image originally uploaded by sneaky7980) sheered off, so now the window will not go up
As the window was going up, about 1/2 way, it immediately fell back into the door, and pulled the plug for the motor!! Took the door apart, and found my sheered off rivets.
I know the motor is fine, as i can stick some screw drivers where the rivets go, and the window goes up just fine

Dose any one know if there is a kit or something thru the dealer that i can get to replace the rivets / nuts. I looks like worse case scenario i could get short screws and nuts to fix it, but not sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks...
--Mike
Attached Thumbnails Driver side window, sheered the rivets...-window-rivets.jpg  
Old 05-07-2008, 11:46 AM
On The Tree

I had this exact thing happen to my driver's side window door. I took it to the dealer and mentioned it when they were replacing my water pump. They said they would look at it and let me know what my options are.

They told me I would have to replace the entire freakin' door. I told them to please do their best to make it work...

I haven't had the door apart since but they told me they basically used some oversized washers to increase the grabbed surface area and after 1 year it still goes all the way up. There is a little play in it but not enough to cause any problems and it is not getting any worse. He advised me to make sure that I don't crank the window down all the way to help make this 'fix' last.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Why not just drill them out and replace them with through bolts? I just finished installing a new DS window motor, and that is how my new one is attached.

DOUGHT!!! The stock motor doesn't have holes for screws huh? Well, you could always make some.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LastHawk
I had this exact thing happen to my driver's side window door. I took it to the dealer and mentioned it when they were replacing my water pump. They said they would look at it and let me know what my options are.

They told me I would have to replace the entire freakin' door. I told them to please do their best to make it work...

I haven't had the door apart since but they told me they basically used some oversized washers to increase the grabbed surface area and after 1 year it still goes all the way up. There is a little play in it but not enough to cause any problems and it is not getting any worse. He advised me to make sure that I don't crank the window down all the way to help make this 'fix' last.
ok, thats what i was thinking, i was looking around online, and didn't see a "repair kit" so might just have to get some bolts / washers and nuts to fix it.

I sure as hell don't want to replace the door.

Thanks for the info!

Thanks...
--Mike
Old 05-07-2008, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

Hope it works out for ya. Like i said, It's not perfect but I sure don't get wet when it rains =)

I'm sure if I would just take the time to take the door panel off and adjust it a tad I could make it like new.

If I ever take the panel off, I'll be sure to post some before and after pics.

Good Luck!
Old 05-07-2008, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When I replaced both of my window motors I used 1/4-20 bolts, super wide 1.5" washers, 1/4" lock washers, and 1/4" serrated nuts. Those will "bite" into the plastic a little bit and give it more support. The problem with mine is the bolts are now starting to elongate the holes and my drivers side motor is starting to walk on me. And yeah, so far as I know the only way to fix it is to replace the whole friggin door.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:29 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Lotus289
The problem with mine is the bolts are now starting to elongate the holes and my drivers side motor is starting to walk on me.
Here is how I fixed that on mine:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/442192-window-motors.html
(scroll down to my posts)
Old 05-08-2008, 03:02 AM
TECH Addict

Nuts,bolts and washers should do the trick
Old 05-08-2008, 01:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I used bolts and washers on mine when I replaced my motor the hard way by pulling the whole mechanism out of the door
Old 05-08-2008, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

thanks for all the input guys, i think i'm going to try some nuts / bolts / washers.
I might see if i can see if i can strengthen it by taking VIP1's advice...

Gonna tackle it this weekend, will let you guys know.

Thanks again for all the input!!!

Thanks...
--Mike
Old 05-08-2008, 03:13 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Wow! If bolts/washers don't work out for you, let me know. I have a pair of aftermarket regulators on my car, which use one of the originally un-used holes. I imagine that you'll need at least two good solid rivet holes to hold the thing steady. If you want to try aftermarket regs - I can steer you to them.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

surprising enough, the rivet holes look fine! I don't get how the hell it happened in the first place...
The only thing that is messed up, is that "tab" that comes thru one of the holes, that chewed up the fiberglass. Which i am assuming happened when the window fell down from about 1/2 way up.

Im going to give the bolts / washers a try, and if i have issues, ill shoot you a PM wssix99!!

Thanks...
--Mike
Old 05-09-2008, 12:44 AM
TECH Addict

Good luck!