No
62.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Regular hose water in a coolant flush

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 12:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I always use distilled water....but, as mentioned before, as long as the tap water you used isn't well water and is clean & drinkable, I think you should be fine. Not to mention your car is better off now with tap water & Dex than before you flushed the system!
Old 01-01-2009, 11:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exactly, depends on the water in your area. If your tub and sink are always full of hard water deposits, then you should not use that tap water in your car. Luckily, my town has nice water, lol.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People run distilled water in their radiators? Huh. New to me.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Launching!

Deposits in tap water can cause abrasive wear on the waterpump shaft seal. To be safe, I would use distilled water.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Have any of you had issues with your waterpumps going out right after a coolant flush? I am reading all these posts about you guys flushing your cooling systems and yet when I did mine on my 98 Z28; the waterpump took a **** like a couple days later. I have heard the Dexcool may have caused it; what do you all think?
Old 02-17-2009, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99monguse
Have any of you had issues with your waterpumps going out right after a coolant flush? I am reading all these posts about you guys flushing your cooling systems and yet when I did mine on my 98 Z28; the waterpump took a **** like a couple days later. I have heard the Dexcool may have caused it; what do you all think?
I know I am just one case, but I flush my coolant every year, fill w/ 50/50 mix of dexcool and tapwater, and my pump has been fine for the last 100,000 miles, lol.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:21 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Never heard of that. I've flushed my system about 10 times, plus when my engine was removed twice the coolant was drained, and when I changed my radiator because it cracked once it was drained, and a couple condensor cleaning days the coolant was drained......and its my original factory water pump from 1998, still good.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:00 AM
TECH Regular

There's a thread of people saying their pump died almost right at 100k. I know mine did. It might just be a coincidence that they're flushing the cooling system at the second interval (50k + 50k) and hitting that 100k mark.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a actually a class lawsuit going on about Dexicrap, which is why I will never use it again. GFGI.
However, AFA coolant, I have run distilled water since destroying a radiator on my RM125 in 1981 with chemical reactions (used city water at the time, not well water). Distilled water = No chemicals, no minerals. Other water, where are the dice?
I will flush it with tap water, but always rinse all that out with distilled water b/f starting to fill the system. Distilled water is inexpensive compared to an engine or cooling system rebuild. And they make coolant that claims to be Dexi compatible without all the Dexi issues.

Quick Reply: Regular hose water in a coolant flush