General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

engine overheating, car shakes violently?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the head gasket is bad, it can leak coolant into the cylinders. This can cause detonation and all kinds of other problems with the engine trying to run. This could very well be your bucking, shaking you are describing... After the Head Gasket I bet things will be much better.

Also you have an OptiCrap, so that could have some issues too.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This might be it.

Originally Posted by MrEddie
When overheating, I think the car will go into limp mode to try and prevent damage, which I heard feels very sluggish/jerky. Maybe this was it...
So i was driving down the freeway in 06 Impala 3.5 when the temperature guage spiked and the dash board display gave me the "Engine overheat AC Off" message. I pulled to the side and shut the engine off and went to investigate. The upper inlet radiator hose had come lose and spilled all of the coolant. I popped the sucker back in tighten it and refilled it with coolant. I went to start the engine but on take off it felt slugish and would shake sort of like it was sputtering everytime it shifts. I pulled to the side again went to disconnect the nagative post on the battery waited a couple minutes and connected it back and vuala car is right back to normal. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: engine overheating, car shakes violently?