General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

I hear noises in my radiator after driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 10:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I hear noises in my radiator after driving

I started my car just to let it run in my garrage. It ran for about 30 minutes. The tempareture guage sgowed 240 after about 25 minutes. When I turned the engene off and oppened the hood I heard the coolent in the radiator bubble. Is this normal. What is the normal tempareture of a car ideling on a hot day.

Also how do I know if all my fans are working (are thre 2 or 3 fans). I have slp loudmouth exhast and its hard to hear. One fan definitly turns on at around 210 degreas

It seems the car ran hotter then usual but never overheated
Old 07-15-2008, 11:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rxrom
I started my car just to let it run in my garrage. It ran for about 30 minutes. The tempareture guage sgowed 240 after about 25 minutes. When I turned the engene off and oppened the hood I heard the coolent in the radiator bubble. Is this normal. What is the normal tempareture of a car ideling on a hot day.

Also how do I know if all my fans are working (are thre 2 or 3 fans). I have slp loudmouth exhast and its hard to hear. One fan definitly turns on at around 210 degreas

It seems the car ran hotter then usual but never overheated
240* is too much no matter what you're doing with it. You should not hear bubbling inside the radiator after turning the engine off, if the system is sealed. You might have a bad head gasket that is letting air in while the engine is running.

You have 2 fans, they should run together (not separately) and they have two settings, low and high. You're running hot because you only have one fan working. The fans are all you have to cool the coolant in the radiator while idling and during city driving. On the highway, the fans do not come on, the ram air from the front lower air dam does all the cooling.

I'd say to get a coolant system pressure test to see if you're losing coolant somewhere. Do it with all 8 spark plugs out and see if any coolant fills a cylinder. If yes, you have a bad head gasket. And whether you see coolant come out of any spark plug hole or not, turn the engine over a little bit in case any coolant is in there so you don't hydralock the engine when you start it with the plugs back in.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:46 PM
TECH Regular

240 is overheating. The sound you heard was the coolant/water boiling inside of your radiator. I drive my car rather rough even when it's 100 degrees out and with a 160 thermostat it doesn't go over 200. I would say you have a problem.

I'm guessing something along either of these lines...
1-Air somewhere along the line causing a hotspot caused from improper fill procedure, or just low on fluid
2-Blown head gasket as the previous poster said

Have you taken the cap off? It going to tell you exactly whats going on.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:00 AM
Launching!

What am I looking for with the cap off. Is it ok to run the car with the cap off. I dont think I have a blown head gasket because I baby the car and only put 3 to 4k on it a year.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:13 AM
Launching!

Ok I took the radiator cap off put the heat on full blast and waited for the car to warm up. The fans turned on in 10 minutes but the antifreez never moved. Isn't it supposed to circulate after the thermostat opens? Is the thermostat stuck?
Old 07-16-2008, 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rxrom
Ok I took the radiator cap off put the heat on full blast and waited for the car to warm up. The fans turned on in 10 minutes but the antifreez never moved. Isn't it supposed to circulate after the thermostat opens? Is the thermostat stuck?
How hot did you let it get?

Yes, if the water does not start to move you have a stuck t-stat.

Did both fans turn on?
Old 07-16-2008, 11:02 AM
Launching!

t-stat might be stuck if it got hot and the water did not move time to upgrade to a 160 degree t-stat

Quick Reply: I hear noises in my radiator after driving