General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear tires making noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 05:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea it gets so high pitched it seems to fade. Maybe after this next paycheck I'll try to take a shot a replacing these things.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I have no signs of any leaks what so ever as far as the rear diff goes, as in spots on my concrete at home or work. But that's not to say it's not leaking out the front where the drive shaft hooks up, and runs down that long cover, and leak while I'm driving. I'm going out now and work on it and check the diff fluid level, and jack the car up. I'll let you know
Old 07-23-2008, 05:50 PM
Teching In

could be nething from axel bearings pinon bearings hub bearings possibly ur rear end unit goin out i no i just repeated everything everybody else said but they r right it could be numerous things
Old 07-23-2008, 06:10 PM
Teching In

Axle saver bearings won't work, at least not on Torsen units. They stick out so far, you can't get the C clip back on the axle, I know, I tried one. I just used a bearing puller and replaced mine. As I stated earlier in this thread, I have new axle bearings and that noise is still there. In my case, i think it might be a front wheel bearing making the noise.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dipstick99
Axle saver bearings won't work, at least not on Torsen units. They stick out so far, you can't get the C clip back on the axle, I know, I tried one. I just used a bearing puller and replaced mine. As I stated earlier in this thread, I have new axle bearings and that noise is still there. In my case, i think it might be a front wheel bearing making the noise.
Well my diff fluid was low, so I have a leak somewhere. The sound is still the same, so now I have to find where it's leaking, and I bet it's from the front where the drive shaft is hooked to it. Like you I don't want it to nickel and dime me to death by replacing the wrong things. I just hope I can figure it out before something locks up!
Old 07-23-2008, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Well, in my case, the axle's were chewed up, so it wasn't a waste of time or money, but now it's time to do the front bearings I guess. It's part of having a used car, replacing worn out parts. I enjoy working on my Z28, except for changing spark plugs, hehehehe.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

UPDATE
Replaced my rear tires with a friends CETA (DKitchen) rear tires, and I had the noise still in my car with his tires. He heard no noise in his car with my tires. So it's not the tires. I Had new pinion gear and new gears installed along with all new parts that go with it. New fluid again with the slip also. The noise is not heard on a dyno. Still have the same helicopter, or big truck sound coming from rear, left and right. I have searched on 3 other clubs and only 1 guy talked about a sound like mine. After a pm to him his problem isn't fixed yet either. I still have not forgot about axles and the bearings. I even looked at the driveshaft to see if their were scrapes or the little weight had come off. Noise is still there.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:16 PM
10 Second Club

From what you described, it sounds like either a wheel bearing(s) or your read end bearing(s).

If it was me, i'd replace the wheel bearings, the move onto the other if that does not fix the sound. I've had the same thing(that wah wah sounds like a 18-wheeler) before and i let it go too long. This is a result of a failed bearing.

Old 08-31-2008, 04:22 PM
Teching In

I just finished replacing my axles with new Moser units and bearings. The noise is gone! One axle was pitted badly.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes SpaZMaN I was afraid something was going out because I was low on fluid when I put a new diff cover on so I had the new gears installed with the new pinion gear. At this point I feel I have to do the bearings on the axle's just to catch it before it gets the axle's. If it's not the wheel bearings, atleast I'll catch it before they got bad as so many have posted in my search.

Dipstick99, kinda what I think is my problem, but at this rate I'm nickeling and diming myself to death. But it could be worst where if it is the wheel bearings they could of gotten really bad and screwed my axle's up and everything else. Time to talk to the mechanic.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:22 PM
TECH Resident

I went from 245 16" to to 275 17" and they make alot of noise. and 275s Feel everything in the road.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
wheel/axle bearing
hmmmm

or being that you had the diff setup it could be gear whine from improper setup
Old 08-31-2008, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
hmmmm

or being that you had the diff setup it could be gear whine from improper setup
Yes read alot about the setup but it was rechecked. This sound has been with the car since 20,000 miles. Now have 37,000 Only change is that the sound is louder than it was at 20,000. So it did it with the stock pinion and stock gears stock tires,which never saw a burn out or any abuse. Really didn't think axle or bearings, cause my sound was so different from everyone else's, which I tracked on 3 different clubs. Mine is no whine, no metal, just that stupid helicopter sound or truck tire sound. There isn't much left to replace, but sure would of been nice if the sound was something that alot of people wrote about. The mechanic has been contacted to possibly replace the bearings. Thanks for your input Tally TransAm, it's all appreciated

Last edited by sleepinghawk; 08-31-2008 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dipstick99
I just finished replacing my axles with new Moser units and bearings. The noise is gone! One axle was pitted badly.
Just got the word from the mechanic, it's my axle's. One was worst than the other. Noise started around 20,000 miles and now have 38,000 No metallic, metal sound, just the helicopter sound.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Teching In

Your differential must have been low on oil at some point to wear out the axles that soon. They are not that hard to change at all. I used a 2" pilot bearing puller to get the bearings out this time and it was a lot easier than the slide hammer I used before. Removing the reluctor rings on the old axles wasn't bad either, you just have to heat them up and they pop right off. I'm really enjoying the silence inside my car. I can hear the engine better now, instead of WOH WOH WOH, hehehehe.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by sleepinghawk
Just got the word from the mechanic, it's my axle's. One was worst than the other. Noise started around 20,000 miles and now have 38,000 No metallic, metal sound, just the helicopter sound.
Glad you found out what it is. I have a set of stock axles fs with ABS
Old 09-04-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes Dipstick99 moser is going in also on mine. The fluid was low when I put the new diff cover on. That's when I started searching all the what if's. That's when I found the best damn write up on ls1tech that told me everything I wanted to know. ( keliente.com) That's why I had the pinion gear changed since I figured I had already damaged something cause of the low fluid. I'm just thankful that the mechanic (John) that works on my car along with others locally has done me the favors that he is doing for me to get this fixed.

Thanks SpaZMaN, but with the new motive gears, I'm staying with Moser axle's and bearings.

Last edited by sleepinghawk; 09-10-2008 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Teching In

Cool, I'm glad you're getting it sorted!
Old 09-04-2008, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

damn......i get that same noise, guess i need to start saving for a 12 bolt or a 9"..... im not rebuilding the 10 bolt
Old 09-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Teching In

10 bolt is fine on a stock car. Start adding horse power and they break. Of course there are some people that can break anything. I keep my car stock because it has plenty of power and I'm to damn old to fix my car all the time, hehehehe.

Quick Reply: Rear tires making noise