General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Need a little help on a weird A/C Issue (Compressor on, not cooling)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 09:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need a little help on a weird A/C Issue (Compressor on, not cooling)

Hey guys, here's a quick run down. I have rebuilt/serviced many A/C systems over the years, but this one has me stumped. About a month or so ago, my A/C one day just goes pretty much flat. It still cools a little, but not like it was whereas you had to shut it off from time to time for feeling too cold. I checked the refrigerant level, looks good.

I figure the compressor seals could just be worn out after 140k miles. I replaced the compressor with a spare working pull. Evac for a hour or two. Recharge. About the same.

I realize I should have changed the orifice tube and dryer when I opened the system up. I order them (dryer from rock auto, tube from autozone, black tube) and do so. The original orifice tube was so clogged up it collapsed. It had about 140k miles on it.

Works great! For about a week.

Compressor spins on demand, yet the dryer never has condensation on it nor is there cool/cold air coming out.

The belt is a little squeaky, but I doubt that would cause it not to cool at all.

Any ideas? I was going to open the system back up and check the orifice tube for debris, but it should not have clogged up already unless there was alot of crap in the system, which I don't think there was.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:41 PM
Staging Lane

Once you saw the "crap" on the orifice tube, you should have blown out the lines, condenser and evaporator with compressed air. Its possible that some of the debris remained in the system after replacing the orifice tube, and now clogged it back up.... hook up a set of a/c gauges and see what the pressures are at. This will help in diagnosis.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

need pressures to diagnose problem
Old 07-28-2008, 11:44 AM
Staging Lane

I will check this out probably today or tomorrow and report back..
Old 07-28-2008, 01:40 PM
Banned

Did a lot of AC work in the past? Like what.

Where does the compressor pump refrigerant? into the condenser. Where does it go after it leaves the condenser? the orifice tube.

Why do new compressors have a warranty only when purchased with a new condenser?
You just found out why.

You need to leak check everything, if that goes ok flush everything, get another new accumulator, orifice tube, oil, replace the condenser and all the sealing rings. What kind of garbage is coming out of the old replacement compressor and how many miles are on it?