General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

So is it bad to have...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 08:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So is it bad to have...

...a gas smell every time I change my oil? When I do a search most say its bad but my car runs like a champ. It's pretty strong every time I drain it. Whats the deal?
Old 08-01-2008, 08:56 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your oil has a gas smell your getting fuel wash down the cyl. It can hurt the motor badly. It breaks down the viscocity of the oil and bearings take a beating.

If you have the oil take your fingers and rub some of it between them, then compare to fresh oil out of the bottle. They should be a big diff is slickness.

Get that hand held tune out of there and get the car on a dyno. ASAP!
Old 08-01-2008, 10:30 AM
TECH Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

^^ What he said. Sounds like your injectors are washing past the rings. Gonna be a big problem down the road. May have some bad rings already and loosing compression since the fuel is blowing past them into the oil.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I changed my oil today. I am going to have the compression checked tomorrow. How hard is that to do yourself? Thanks guys.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem. What do I need to tell the shop to do or check? It has an efi live tune on it, does that just need adjusted or......?
Old 08-02-2008, 02:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

OP it's not too hard except for that bastard #8. Just get a kit, uplug all plug wires, unplug the coil packs and pull the fuses for the injectors and fuel pump. Put in the compression tester and hold the car WOT for 4 strokes to get the compression stroke and read your gauge. All your PSI readings need to be within 70% of each other and watch to make sure you don't loose compression over time. You can check for ring wear by putting a little oil in there (makes rings seal a little better) and you'll see a good increase in psi pressure. Seems like around 180 readings are LS1 territory.

And Cvaught I'd check the tune if the injectors are properly sized they will spray down the cylinder too much and wash out the rings and get into the oil.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Cvaught
I have the same problem. What do I need to tell the shop to do or check? It has an efi live tune on it, does that just need adjusted or......?
You can have it checked out with the tune installed. I'd just have the compression checked but they said without a loss in performance and or codes being thrown that its probably normal blow by. It was at the end, very end of an oil change. I was actually testing how many miles before the oil life light came on. I was at around 3600 (mobile 1) when I checked it. I am going to start checking it often to see how quickly it starts to smell of gas and go from there.

Thanks guys for all of your help. I am going to keep an eye on my situation.