General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Gauges go crazy on start-up...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 07:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauges go crazy on start-up...

Car is a '99 Trans Am, 6-speed.

At least half of the time I start my car (and getting more prevalent), the gauges all go crazy, then take their time settling back down. The RPMs hit redline, then go down to ~300, then settle at ~800. The speedometer hits ~120, then settles back down to zero.

The gas gauge and other gauges do similar "maximizes," then settle.

What the hell? I tried doing a search, but had no clue what to search for.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bad ground......
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Check the charging system (alternator, battery) That happens when you start the car with a weak battery. If you leave the car several days without using it consider disconnecting the battery.
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Yea.. check the Grounds..
Old 09-01-2008, 07:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SOM02WS6
Bad ground......
Not necessarily. Once the battery is fully charged that wont happen again unless you have a failing alternator.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

my 99 has been doing it since i bought the car a year ago...i cleaned the battey terminals and what not...it stopped for a few months....i have asked this on here before...its something that they recalled on the 99's or somethin someone told me...GM issued a TBS years ago...its low voltage issue and a good battery fixes it i was told..but i have a new optima red top so i donno i wanna know how to solve this as well...does your trip odometer reset? mine does and it pisses me off
Old 09-01-2008, 09:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Mine's a 1999, thats why I knew about the low voltage/ weak battery issue but I think every car been cranked with a low voltage battery can have this issue too. These cars, as well as most modern ones, just eat up battery power due to all the electronic crap even when not running. I just installed a screw type cut off switch in the battery and I cut power off completely when the car sits in the garage for a few days. Mine is not a daily driver. The trip odometer resets itself but its not a big issue for me. With that solution I keep my battery flesh and starts right up without the gauge needle sweeping issue. Works for me!

BTW I also own a 2006 SRT8 Magnum and after seating for a week or two it also starts up quite weakly and does the same gauge needle sweeping dance! LOL!!
Old 09-01-2008, 10:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by momartin22
does your trip odometer reset? mine does and it pisses me off
Yup. Very annoying.

Thanks guys, it was definitely starting weak, I just didn't know if they were related or not.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If your car cant sit for a couple days you have something wrong in the wiring system. These cars do use power but not that much. My car can sit for a month and start up just fine with just a cheapo battery. You have a power leak somewhere... Do you have any aftermarket alarms or stereo stuff, either that or a light is stating on somewhere. My first f-body did the same thing, you know when you turn the car off and dont open the doors the windows and stereo stays on for a bit, well that module wasn't working and the car was staying on..
Old 09-01-2008, 11:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Yea.. a couple of days it kinda drastic. The Vette's are notorious for dead batteries..but not an F-body.

I don't have **** in mine, I have kept batteries in it for several months without it dying.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine did the same thing, the car started up just fine but the gauges would peg. I replaced the battery and its been fine ever since.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Battery, it's a problem with the '99s, replace it and it will go away.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SOM02WS6
If your car cant sit for a couple days you have something wrong in the wiring system. These cars do use power but not that much. My car can sit for a month and start up just fine with just a cheapo battery. You have a power leak somewhere... Do you have any aftermarket alarms or stereo stuff, either that or a light is stating on somewhere. My first f-body did the same thing, you know when you turn the car off and dont open the doors the windows and stereo stays on for a bit, well that module wasn't working and the car was staying on..
I guess each car is different. Thats why I brought up my Magnum as an example also. If I leave her for two weeks same thing happens. This is basically a new car, no aftermarket stereo, stock alarm system.

Quick Reply: Gauges go crazy on start-up...