General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Electrical Issue.....HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 12:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Issue.....HELP

Ok so two weekends ago I went to the track. Hadnt driven the car in over 2 months and decided to up my shot to 200 and let'r rip......the 1st pass out I ran fine and pulled maybe a 6-9inch wheelie.......went back to the pits adjusted a few things went back out and the car sat on the bumper....came back down and smashed the oil pan.......I ended up having to buy a new pan and new headers. I just finally got everything together started it up idles fine, plenty of oil pressure and everything....so then I go to drive it down the street and then my gauges start flickering on and off and the needles drop down into the off position and the car acts like it wants to die....but it never shuts of it just flickers on and off. I thought maybe I had forgotton to tighten my battery cables but they are as tight as you can make them.....do you guy have any ideas? Maybe when I came smashing down I might have damaged something else???
Old 10-16-2008, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

Helpy Helpy
Old 10-16-2008, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

hmm check the big metal ground wire on the motor on the drivers side?? It could have gotten pulled putting in/taking out headers.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RCowan
hmm check the big metal ground wire on the motor on the drivers side?? It could have gotten pulled putting in/taking out headers.
What else does it hook to other then the motor? Does it come off of something else?
Old 10-16-2008, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

One end is on the block on the driver's side:
http://www.ls1howto.com/howto/c5/lgh...roundstrap.jpg
This is on a C5, but its the same.

The other end is on the body of the car, under fuse box. Photo in keliente's engine removal page here:
http://www.keliente.com/engine.htm

Its the big braided ground strap.

I'd look at the alternator connections too!

Hope this helps!
Old 10-16-2008, 08:32 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks tomorrow when I get my battery tray in and battery on, I will roll underneith it and check around......I do remember seeing a braided ground wire but it looked like it was hooked to an O2 sensor?? Does that ring a bell? It was just hanging there as I have the kooks 2inch race headers and do not have O2's anymore.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:37 PM
Launching!

Shouldn't be any braided lines to the O2s..

While you're under there, check the positive wire that goes to the starter. Sometimes it twists a little bit and causes an intermittent short, which would show up like you're describing your problems.