My TA is making noises!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question My TA is making noises!

i have a 99' TA m6 everything is stock

lately its been making noises...
First noise, when i start my car (but not every time i start it) it makes a loud "clank" noise.... first it would crank normally n right before it starts it makes a "clank" noise, n then it idles smoothly with no problem

Second noise, when im cruising on 3rd @ 35mph n then i press the pedal to WOT n once it passes more than 4000rpm it makes an annoying noise like if u were to put some metal thing inside a vegetable can n shake it as fast as u can n the noise is loud that u can hear it from the inside with windows up... and also when im cruising on 3rd@35mph n i just tap the pedal real quick giving it a little gas it makes that "clank" noise again and then it goes away when i release the pedal...

but other than that noise my TA drives really smooth when im just cruising, i use my TA as my daily driver, school n work n its not overheating or giving me bad mileage... n theres no SES light on

so any ideas? if so pls let me know i would really appreciate it.... i would love to get this fixed asap bcus the noise is embarrassing when i wanna race

n if anyone is from Houston, TX can yall tell me wheres a good mechanic to take my TA thanks
Old 10-05-2008, 10:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The rattles could be exhaust rattle, or maybe cats are starting to break up. Also could be pinging, but I doubt it. You are running premium gas right? Check your exhaust for anything loose.
As for the clank, I don't know. It only "clanks" once, then starts right up? Where does it sound like its coming from, the engine bay?
Old 10-05-2008, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
The rattles could be exhaust rattle, or maybe cats are starting to break up. Also could be pinging, but I doubt it. You are running premium gas right? Check your exhaust for anything loose.
As for the clank, I don't know. It only "clanks" once, then starts right up? Where does it sound like its coming from, the engine bay?
o yea i put premium everytime
the noise seems to be coming from the engine bay but not sure but its mostly on the driver side... n the clank noise is coming somewhere from the bottom...
Old 10-05-2008, 10:26 PM
Teching In

almost forgot to mention 2 things

my neutral safety switch is broken or not working bcus i can start my car with out pressing the clutch... i have no idea how that happen ??? but either way i always press the clutch when i start my car...

and also when i have my car running n i put it on neutral, i can rev it to the rev limiter n it doesnt make any noise, it roars like it should

so the noise only occurs when its on gear
Old 10-06-2008, 01:04 AM
Staging Lane

The 'Clank' when starting is simply GM's shitty design and engineering of a starter. After a while the starter needs to be "shimmed", this may be your case. It could also be that the starter or starter solenoid is in a bind. Then again it's probably just a shitty starter, most GM starters sound absolutely horrid, but then the LS1 fires up and your happy.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:24 AM
Launching!

That clank at 35 sounds just like mine, and it feels like something is breaking, right???
I have been trying to find that for months now, and it has only caused more problems. If you find anything tell me!
Sorry I couldn't be of any help, sorry!
Old 10-06-2008, 01:52 AM
Banned

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by BlueTA99
o yea i put premium everytime
the noise seems to be coming from the engine bay but not sure but its mostly on the driver side... n the clank noise is coming somewhere from the bottom...
**** that sounds like the problem i had when i put the new set up in started soundin like a metal pen in a tin can . so after hearing the sound for a bit i notices it got loder like i could feel my floor boards bangin agianst somethin long story short after puting the car on a lift the yoks on the driveshaft on the stock T/a weren't holding up too the power im making and it further caused my aftermarket torque arm too bend and bang agianst my floorboards ( hope this helps out and u figure out what is up IM0 the mystery sound i herd for a day in my car led too geting a Built driveshaft = fixed problem)
Old 10-07-2008, 03:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

motor mount?
Old 10-09-2008, 10:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slowjoe99
motor mount?
if it were the motor mount... wouldnt it make the noise when i rev my engine?
cus if i rev my engine it sounds smooth... the noise only comes when im in gear at high rpm
Old 10-10-2008, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it would be more likely to make noise when there is a load on it if it was the motor mount. I was just throwing a suggestion out though.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe check the heat shields on the exhaust manifolds. Mine rattled and clanked before the headers went on.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:53 AM
11 Second Club

I think might be your starter or tranny issue..i had similar noise in my car coming from the bottom of the engine bay and it turned out to the the flexplate
Old 10-14-2008, 12:05 PM
TECH Regular

Hey BlueTA...where'd youfind the pic your using as your avatar? it looks cool, is there a larger version out there?