General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

2 broke serp. belts/water pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 01:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 broke serp. belts/water pump

OK so I drove my car all day today. Got home, went in and ate, about 2 hours later came out and the belt was squeaking. Figured its loose/bad so headed to the shop to replace it(had one there).

On the way, both belts ended up coming off. I let the car cool off even though it was not over heating and headed to the shop which is only a few miles away, temp gauge went up a tiny bit but no where near hot hot.

SO I get to the shop and throw the new belt on. I left the A/C belt off since I didn't have an extra one of those. Drove up the road a mile or so and it did it again. When I arrived at the shop, noticed the water pump was leaking.

I'm guessing maybe the pump was locking up and making the belt fly off. Anyways, I'm putting my new water pump on tomorrow morning. I have a ls1 with 40,000 miles on it in the shop I took it off of. Question is, do you think the water pump was what made the belts fly off like they did?
Old 10-06-2008, 02:04 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Ws6302
OK so I drove my car all day today. Got home, went in and ate, about 2 hours later came out and the belt was squeaking. Figured its loose/bad so headed to the shop to replace it(had one there).

On the way, both belts ended up coming off. I let the car cool off even though it was not over heating and headed to the shop which is only a few miles away, temp gauge went up a tiny bit but no where near hot hot.

SO I get to the shop and throw the new belt on. I left the A/C belt off since I didn't have an extra one of those. Drove up the road a mile or so and it did it again. When I arrived at the shop, noticed the water pump was leaking.

I'm guessing maybe the pump was locking up and making the belt fly off. Anyways, I'm putting my new water pump on tomorrow morning. I have a ls1 with 40,000 miles on it in the shop I took it off of. Question is, do you think the water pump was what made the belts fly off like they did?
I don't think water pumps can lock up, they just leak when the seal pops. But I could be wrong
Old 10-06-2008, 02:19 AM
Staging Lane

i thought the bearing could cause the pully to lock up?
Old 10-06-2008, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

It was the aftermarket udp/harmonic balancer. Im guessing it went bad, moved inward toward motor, threw belt, and that all wrapped up/twisted the water pump causing failure. Replaced, all is good.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:34 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Ws6302
i thought the bearing could cause the pully to lock up?
Maybe the pulley can lock up. My bearing went bad once and the pulley melted right off the bracket. That sucker is going to spin even if that bearing locked up, something is going to melt or snap.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:53 PM
BS
Launching!

I know this post is old but the water pump can lock up and cause the belt to burn off.