General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car shut off while driving!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car shut off while driving!!!

I was driving home today and the gauge lights came on and went out for a second. I drove another mile and the gauge lights came on again and the car shut off. I put the car in neutral and restarted while I was moving and the car has been fine since. WTF... I have never encountered this type of problem before suggestions would help. By the way my car is a 2002 camaro Z28.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Is the alternater giving you a good charge? have you checked for any loose grounds or batery terminals?
Old 10-07-2008, 06:53 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Crank Shaft Position Sensor can do crazy crap like that. And you WILL NOT necassarily get an SES light when its failing.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i had the same issue and mine was from the battery terminal connection, i kinda had a wire that a had a little cut on it, and it was starting to screw my car up..
Old 10-07-2008, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this problem, turned out to be the Positive terminal connection on the Drivers side. The nut came lose, those wires rubbed, and heated up, causing all sorts of wierd problems, including the car shutting off while i was driving!

Check that out and let us know.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

checked all of the connections. Everything checks out so far. Today when I was coming home, I heard a low pitch whine coming from I thought was the stereo, but the stereo was off. You know, the noise. It would happen when I put my foot on the brake. All the lights even the mileage lights would dim real low for one second and then brighten again. I am sure the day this all started, this started that morning. Now, Anytime I hit the brakes this happens.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i also have that little pitch in my speakers also, idk it doesnt always do it...
Old 10-09-2008, 07:33 PM
Teching In

Get your battery and alternator tested also check your belts
Old 10-12-2008, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

alternator, battery and belts are all perfect. I was able to get the gauge lights to come on again, but the car did not stall. While I was driving the whining noise began again. I think now it may becoming from behind the hvac controls. Anyway, I turned the air to off and switched them back on real quickly and it almost stalled the car. Gauge lights came on for a second and then went off again. Whining continued all the way home. If I turn the air off it stops immediately and then begins again after a few moments. Air still off!!!