Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator: Look at this pic

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alt. going bye bye.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wickedbusa
The first two alternators I used were rebuilt. This one is an OE alt from a wrecked SS. Never been rebuilt and was told that it had 30k miles by the original owner.
it could still be going bad, are all connections tight? alt, battery any other connections double check everything. does the alternator spin freely, i still say have it checked out. sometimes its better to have 2 sets of eyes looking at the problem. it might be something stupid that you looked at but didnt notice.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey all, the exciter wire definitely does affect output. If i recall off the top of my head, it supplies the energy to the electromagnet around the alternator. So, if it is broken or has too much resistance (damaged somehow) it will reduce the magnetic field, and thus the output of the alternator.

My friend had a damaged wire, and it caused his voltages to read low all the time. Once we fixed it, his voltages returned to normal!
Old 10-19-2008, 06:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Grimes
Hey all, the exciter wire definitely does affect output. If i recall off the top of my head, it supplies the energy to the electromagnet around the alternator. So, if it is broken or has too much resistance (damaged somehow) it will reduce the magnetic field, and thus the output of the alternator.

My friend had a damaged wire, and it caused his voltages to read low all the time. Once we fixed it, his voltages returned to normal!

Ok here is how it actually works, checked into it today, the exciter only turns on the alternator the alternator is internally regulated, so the exciter DOES NOT affect output, Grimes what the case would have been with your buddies is sometimes the connection was good enough to excite the regulator, other times it wasnt, an intermittent connection is what it was. Yes it does supply power to the regulator to kick it on but then the alt takes over the regulation.

Wanna test the theory? Hook up a volt meter to the battery, get good acces to the wire to where you can unplug it while the car is running, or cut the wire and put a connector/ whatever you have to do to disconnect the "feed" to the alternator. Then start the car let it idle for a minute or so for the regulator to get going, then disconnect the wire, the voltage will still be up, turn on the lights and a/c at one time you will see the voltage drop and if the regulator is working it will pull the voltage back up to a steady level or close ( seen this on countless cars as a tech, that were not PCM regulated )

Hope this helps guys.

OP post up when you fix it so we can learn from it bud. Even if you post up we were all wrong or what have you. Or do you have any updates yet? Tried swapping batteries between your cars yet or putting a voltmeter on it to confirm your guage?
Old 10-19-2008, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mind does the same thing because of the underdrive pulley but jumps right up once moving. Do you have one?

Quick Reply: Alternator: Look at this pic