Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Gurus HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 09:42 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Header Gurus HELP PLEASE

I just bought a Shoenfeld 1 3/4" primary weld up header kit and flanges to make my own headers for my car. The steering gear location does not allow me to fabricate conventional headers. What I am kicking around are some tri-y headers with equal length 1 3/4" primaries 2 1/4" secondaries into 3" true duals with an X pipe. I am planning on grouping the cyls 1&5, 3&7, 2&4, 6&8.

The layout would be roughly 10" primaries merging into the Y. At the bottom of the y is will a flange for the 2 sections of 2 1/4" which I will be able to route around the steering gear keeping equal length. At the end of these (roughly 20") will be a Y merging them into the 3" collector with a flange. The 3" exhaust will be about a foot long before merging into the X. After the X the 3" duals will run parallel to the back of the car where they will flow through a Spintech Dual 3" in Dual 3" out muffler (to keep the factory look.) From the 3" collector flange back, the system would be all one piece (welded), as it an Indep. Rear Susp. car so the exhaust goes underneath everything the whole way back.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

Default Re: Header Gurus HELP PLEASE

I have a question.
What gains are you hoping to get out of these headers as opposed to the best or rather biggest headers on the market? It seems to me that for all the effort the gains will be minimal at best. But if you are successful I hope we can see some numbers. Good luck.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:11 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Hardcore man, more power to ya.
Old 09-15-2003, 10:14 PM
Launching!

BLK 2000, I would buy ANY headers in a minute if they were available for an LS1 equipped 1984 BMW 318i I thought I was very clever modifying my dry sump oil pan to set the engine even lower in the chassis. By doing so, I pretty much killed all of the room for header tubes. I really think I can make this work, and have some good hp potential as well.

Doc, thanks for the encouragement. Nothing has been easy on this but I really feel the end result will be worth it.

D
Old 09-15-2003, 10:19 PM
TECH Junkie

BLK 2000, I would buy ANY headers in a minute if they were available for an LS1 equipped 1984 BMW 318i ...
lol, i see your point. sounds like a cool project
Old 09-15-2003, 11:03 PM
TECH Regular

Hey... cool project Derek!

I've been mulling around an LS1 BMW E30 too...

Or better yet, an E21 (77-83 320i) with an LS1 or LT1.

I've driven a couple V8 E21s and E30s.... VERY good power to weight !

I'll build a set of headers for you if you can get the car to NH !

Are you a customer of Bavarian Autosport ( www.bavauto.com )?

Gordon
www.provenperformanceconcepts.com
Old 09-15-2003, 11:58 PM
Launching!

M3Eater,
All I can say on the LS1 e30 is just do it. I know a couple others who have done it and they say they are insane. One guy said his ran with a 993 TT until aeros kicked his *** about 110mph. If NH wasn't half way across the US I would take you up on the header offer.

I think I picked up a couple items from bavauto. I am pretty much a ***** to the cheapest price. No one has shown me any kind of service or quality that merits loyalty, so I go on price alone.

Anyone have input on either cyl grouping or secondary diameter??