Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QTP Prototype Side Exit Exhaust???

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 10:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Redlinez
I've always wondered why you guys don't make a stainless Y to match your headers.
Thats hilarious you mention that, I have the old style QTP's and was thinking tonight if I get a new catback come spring I might upgrade my ypipe and get a QTP to go with the headers...I go look and its 335 for aluminized steel! I know it has a much better merge but why not stainless that seems like a high price for not being stainless...
Old 12-31-2008, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

it would look nice.. but it would need some nice tips on it..
Old 12-31-2008, 04:42 PM
TECH Addict

still waiting...
Old 01-04-2009, 10:06 AM
Teching In

If anyone was interested I have a True Dual Xpipe with side exit exhaust on my 99 camaro, "Had" some great looking tips on it. Driver side is gone. My Car is set up for road racing/street so it is LOW, we are talking 3 in of ground clearance I think, maybe less, half a soda can. Anyway, I am using 2 18in i believe GMMG style chambered mufflers, great for clearance as they are a tad bigger than 3in, with a 2.5 out in case i wanted to run over the axel. Now it sounds great no rasp. However Here are some problems. Biggest if you hit anything and dont have a long piece of steel in your car have fun Either Replacing your tire, as as soon as the exhaust hits your tire your tire is sending it under your tire or even better a rear exit hence why I dont have a Driver side I had to break it off at the muffler to drive the car home. Curbs or fun as are road kill."Damn Raccons." Now I had this exhaust custom made in SS, so its not cheap but 2 chambered mufflers and the Chrome Tips I chose were 150 I think I spent another 150-250 dont quote me on the exhaust material, and another 550 in labor to have it made for my car. And I am trying to redesign it better as when it does exit, With a straight exit even with side skirts you Dont have it going through plastic, hence the redesign with a oval or retangle angle double cut at a 45 to raise the tip up. This is not done yet so cant show you. But if you do decide to do this I would make sure you have something in your car to fix any trouble you may get into 36in or more piece of steel that wont bend, or something to that nature. Its always nice to see your tire Sitting on top of your Exhaust tip. Oh and it may or may not matter, but I have the Xpipe sitting in the gap for the DS loop and its run on both sides of the torque arm.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Im down id like dual exit with a decent price range
Old 01-04-2009, 02:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sbackof
If anyone was interested I have a True Dual Xpipe with side exit exhaust on my 99 camaro, "Had" some great looking tips on it. Driver side is gone. My Car is set up for road racing/street so it is LOW, we are talking 3 in of ground clearance I think, maybe less, half a soda can. Anyway, I am using 2 18in i believe GMMG style chambered mufflers, great for clearance as they are a tad bigger than 3in, with a 2.5 out in case i wanted to run over the axel. Now it sounds great no rasp. However Here are some problems. Biggest if you hit anything and dont have a long piece of steel in your car have fun Either Replacing your tire, as as soon as the exhaust hits your tire your tire is sending it under your tire or even better a rear exit hence why I dont have a Driver side I had to break it off at the muffler to drive the car home. Curbs or fun as are road kill."Damn Raccons." Now I had this exhaust custom made in SS, so its not cheap but 2 chambered mufflers and the Chrome Tips I chose were 150 I think I spent another 150-250 dont quote me on the exhaust material, and another 550 in labor to have it made for my car. And I am trying to redesign it better as when it does exit, With a straight exit even with side skirts you Dont have it going through plastic, hence the redesign with a oval or retangle angle double cut at a 45 to raise the tip up. This is not done yet so cant show you. But if you do decide to do this I would make sure you have something in your car to fix any trouble you may get into 36in or more piece of steel that wont bend, or something to that nature. Its always nice to see your tire Sitting on top of your Exhaust tip. Oh and it may or may not matter, but I have the Xpipe sitting in the gap for the DS loop and its run on both sides of the torque arm.
I dont think it would be as much of a problem on a stock ride height car...which I think would be a must in running just about any dual setup...
Old 01-26-2009, 06:27 PM
On The Tree

I have an idea for dual side exit that I might possibly be workin' on soon
But if QTP would make something, I could probably buy that cheaper than what I'm thinkin' of fabin' up!!!
Old 04-06-2009, 10:01 AM
Teching In

i hope someone comes up with something that works and has good ground clearance, im planning on getting the side skirts and cutting into them to have the exhaust exit through it, but i have yet to find a set of mufflers that are small enough to not scrape on much, but as of right now im planning on just going to a shop and having them custom make it
Old 04-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

A super 44 will work, if ya solid mount it to the car so it's not gonna vibrate around too much. It's only 4 inches thick and will fit under the front seats.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:38 AM
Teching In

found this on another forum, what do you guys think?

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146185
Old 04-06-2009, 11:14 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Might work... but if you put the 44 series up further under the car you can just run the pipe out the sides. No x or h in a setup like mine... but there's no real need. Just run big enough tubing so the backpressure isn't a problema nd you're goo to go.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sbackof
I'd like to see pics of this...
Old 05-08-2009, 01:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess QTP lost interest in this.......?
Old 05-09-2009, 12:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I already have a great exhaust, but i am curious to see the final product
Old 05-09-2009, 09:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
I already have a great exhaust, but i am curious to see the final product
yeah me too....
Old 05-09-2009, 09:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Quick Time
Guys, thanks for your interest in this system. I made this for my car to pass the noise restrictions at the race track when we are not allowed to open our cutouts. To answer some of your questions. There is no issue with ground clearance what so ever. We used oval tubing for the side exit. The muffler is not large and sits under the rear passenger seat. The system is not that loud. Very clean sounding and deep. On my car with a large cam our headers and off road y pipe it passes noise restrictions at the track. I got complements on it the first time out at the track.

So if you guys are interested in this system i need some feed back.

What material do you want it made out of?
Stainless Steel or Aluminized Steel?
Single or Dual Oval Tips?
Do you want a light weight version or a standard version(16 or 18 gauge)
What is a target price for the system you are looking for(please be reasonable)

I also need a stock manifold Camaro to get this rolling. Mine is so far from stock that is not a good test bed. So if you are in NJ contact us.

Thanks
Just found this thread - intrested in seeing the final product. If you are looking for input on product design it would be great if the final product could look similar to the side pipes on a viper. Light weight is my preffered option but you could offer the standard for reduced price. Instead of a round or oval tip can you go with a rectangle?
Old 06-15-2009, 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It seemed a shame to let the idea on this one die...
Old 06-15-2009, 05:30 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 99bowtieZ
It seemed a shame to let the idea on this one die...
Any new ideas with exhaust aren't going to gain enough to make any difference worth the cost or hassle.

If I go N/A + spray with my next set-up...I'm doing 1 7/8" stepped to 2" LT's. 3" collectors into a Flowmaster merge (3" inlets to a 4" outlet) 4" electric cut-out after the merge, then 4" back to the Magna Flow muffler. I can't see any set-up flowing better with the cut-out open and any more quiet considering its gonna be at least 445ci.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

this would work good using a Y pipe with a good merge as ls6427 said into a round muffler, then a oval reducer and out the side.

Quick Reply: QTP Prototype Side Exit Exhaust???