Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those with kooks or ARH 2" headers..

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
You want to increase flow and increase exhaust velocity. If you add more flow to what is needed, you'll slow the exhaust down and lose power. Ideally, you want to shrink your exhaust as it goes. The largest exhaust area is needed at the front of the exhaust because it's hottest so therefore its volume is greatest. As the exhaust cools, it condenses and takes up a lot less space. Therefore, running larger piping all the way back will limit velocity and add too much flow, hurting performance. If you have 2" headers and then funnel the gas into the reducers, the reducers will actually increase the velocity of the exhaust. This would benefit you if 3" exhaust provides enough flow at that point. It could be a good thing.
Nick @ ARH said they have an 8.90's car running 2inch headers with the 3 1/2 inch collectors that has a 3" 1/2 inch Y pipe that collects into a 4" I pipe. That's what he recommended me.

that's exactly the oposite of what you're saying. its getting bigger as it goes back, not smaller.

But then again I guess it's a Y setup, so it's different cause you're collecting two pipes into one.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:24 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jermzz
Nick @ ARH said they have an 8.90's car running 2inch headers with the 3 1/2 inch collectors that has a 3" 1/2 inch Y pipe that collects into a 4" I pipe. That's what he recommended me.

that's exactly the oposite of what you're saying. its getting bigger as it goes back, not smaller.

But then again I guess it's a Y setup, so it's different cause you're collecting two pipes into one.
Going from two 3 1/2" pipes into a single 4" pipe isn't getting bigger. It's getting significantly smaller. You're losing a lot of volume in a single 4" pipe vs. two 3 1/2" pipes.

Necking down from two 3 1/2" collectors into a single 3" y-pipe would increase exhaust velocity, but a single 3" y-pipe will probably choke a car running 8.90's too much. If the car was running 11's or 12's, I'd be willing to bet necking down from 3 1/2" collectors into a 3" y-pipe would greatly benefit the car.

Necking down exhaust after the collectors is something you'd want to do more with true duals than a y-pipe. Y-pipes neck down automatically because you're jamming everything into a single I-pipe.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:10 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

jermzz, The set-up I described to you had a Y-pipe with 3-1/2" inlets that merged and collected to 3" at the y-pipe and had a 4" outlet. Do not underestimate how well this set-up works, particularly on a big cube application like yours that'll also see a 300 shot. This set-up is on quite a few 9 sec rides as well as a customer running 8.70's at 155 on spray. If you'd like to go over what we discussed yesterday in more detail, please feel free to call me or PM me your number and I'll reach you when it's convenient. Thanks.

Nick
Old 10-29-2008, 03:22 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by A.R. Headers
jermzz, The set-up I described to you had a Y-pipe with 3-1/2" inlets that merged and collected to 3" at the y-pipe and had a 4" outlet. Do not underestimate how well this set-up works, particularly on a big cube application like yours that'll also see a 300 shot. This set-up is on quite a few 9 sec rides as well as a customer running 8.70's at 155 on spray. If you'd like to go over what we discussed yesterday in more detail, please feel free to call me or PM me your number and I'll reach you when it's convenient. Thanks.

Nick
So this is what I'm talking about. The 3 1/2" collectors get necked down into two 3" pipes, then merge into a single 4" I-pipe. That's exactly what I'm saying. Necking down from two 3 1/2" collectors into two 3" pipes will increase velocity where the larger diameter pipes aren't needed since the gases are cooler, then it merges into a single 4" I-pipe, which is even smaller yet. This is a good method for a y-pipe system IMO instead of running just a straight 3 1/2" y-pipe the whole way back. You want to generally narrow the volume of the system as the exhaust gases cool to maintain higher velocity.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So, you're saying that 3" dual exhaust systems, with headers that have 3" collectors will actually kill power? And that its better to have a 3" collector, into a 3" y, that necks down to 2.5" x-pipe out the back (full exhaust)?
Old 10-29-2008, 08:11 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by Haans249
So, you're saying that 3" dual exhaust systems, with headers that have 3" collectors will actually kill power? And that its better to have a 3" collector, into a 3" y, that necks down to 2.5" x-pipe out the back (full exhaust)?
The second part of your statement does'nt make sense you can't run a y and an x under the same car. most cars are different and require different things especially in max effort race cars. Lets say you have a true dual car with an x-pipe that needs a 1-3/4 primary header you would go 3" into the x-pipe and 2.5" out through the mufflers to the tails.The smaller diameter after the x-pipe will keep the velocity up of the cooler exhaust helping the overall scavenging of the motor
Old 07-22-2009, 02:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lets say you have a true dual car with an x-pipe that needs a 1-3/4 primary header you would go 3" into the x-pipe and 2.5" out through the mufflers to the tails.The smaller diameter after the x-pipe will keep the velocity up of the cooler exhaust helping the overall scavenging of the motor
How much would it hurt that car, if lets say the pipe remained at 3" after the x pipe and out the mufflers to the tails?