Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car idles low then dies off

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Car idles low then dies off

Anybody had this problem? Idles real low then the car itself raises the rpm like trying to stay alive then when it settles back, rpm's will go back to like 400 or lower. Wont stay on unless i give it some gas, :eek2 and pulls real hard when driving in between 1500 and 2000 it feels somebody pulls you from behind. A few days later the ses light came on. Can this be the EGR?
Old 09-16-2003, 01:08 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Car idles low then dies off

sounds like Idle air control....piece behind the right side of the throttlebody...might be bad...
Go to auto zone or advancd auto or any valvoline oil change or jiffy lube and have them read the code to be sure
then let us know what code.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks im gonna have it checked out this saturday. One of my friends is a tech and our gm dealership, ill give u the code that comes out.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the exact same prob. this past weekend, but it went away after I parked the car for a while. I didnt get a SES code and its only done this 2X so I guess it will probably do it again. I have round 51K miles on it. Keep us posted kbronSS.
Old 09-16-2003, 10:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem with my 99' Ends up where the EGR tube goes into the intake manifold there is suppossed to be a little washer to help seal it tight and there was not one there, replaced it and it runs smooth and fine now.
Old 09-16-2003, 11:09 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

I had the same problem with my 99' Ends up where the EGR tube goes into the intake manifold there is suppossed to be a little washer to help seal it tight and there was not one there, replaced it and it runs smooth and fine now.
Was this a problem that was always present with your car, or did it take a while for the vacuum leak to develop? Or did it happen after some sort of mods? I'm guessing it was always there to some degree if you were missing the seal, correct?