Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Duals & X w/ stock exhaust manifolds...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 08:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Duals & X w/ stock exhaust manifolds...

I tried searching on this subject, couldn't find a single thread on it. I'm sure plenty of people will read the title and say, "WHY?!@" My reason is this - I don't have the budget to afford LT's right now, however... I have a guy that does exhaust that owes me some work. Pretty much all I will have to buy are 02 SIMMS & two mufflers. The rest will be "free" so to speak.

My other option would be to have him build me an OR Y-pipe and install an old cut out I have laying around here.

I'm not overly concerned w/ ground clearance, I intend on keeping the stock springs. I'm looking for it to get louder and be a little faster. I'm already bored with it and it feels slow only after two months of ownership.

I would just like some input supported by some good facts and proven set ups. TIA to all who reply.
Old 09-17-2003, 09:04 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Duals & X w/ stock exhaust manifolds...

I saw a guy at the track once with an x pipe setup that used stock manifolds. He said he liked it. You could do the OPR with curout, but the true dual with x crossover will sound better IMO.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply. I talked to the guy again today and I think he's trying to get out of doing the dual set up. He wants me to go w/ an OR-Y, cut out, then follow that w/ a dyno mouth and the stock tips. I still kind of have my heart set on duals w/ the X. I have oval duals on my IROC w/ spin techs and it fits great. I'd like to do something similar on my 2000... but I'm broke.
Old 09-20-2003, 02:01 PM
Teching In

I have Duals on my 98. I run x pipe 2.5 inch all the way back. I did it just for sound it sounds nice too me. I still have cats thought and no mufflers. Not as loud as you would think the duals really even it out with the x-pipe. Planning on headers this winter then there will be some mufflers.

Oh and I have stock springs never had any ground clearance problems. Hope this helps.
Old 09-21-2003, 06:23 PM
Banned

I have a dyno graph of a true dual system on a stock 00 Z that gained 12 rwhp & 7 lb/ft tq. Although that's not a lot, I would still do it if you have a deal.