Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FTRA vs SSRA

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 09:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have 172,000 + miles on my FTRA and have no complaints..the car is a daily driver and has seen more than its share of heavy rain storms with no problems..the car is heads/cam and bolt ons .. makes 452 rwhp..I like the stainless steel over the plastic myself...my guess is that there is not 1 hp performance advantage between either system..they are both much better than the stock system ..
Old 11-04-2008, 02:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 288 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Toys Performance Parts
We do not do GP's on the FTRA any more as there is never enough people at the same time that want to buy them. The FTRA is one of those rare products that will actually pay for itself in fuel savings!

You do not have to crawl under the car to install the block off plate. It is installed under the air box in the engine bay.

In every test we have ever done or ones our customers have done and posted on LS1TECH the FTRA returns very close to ambient temps even on the hottest of days. That is all the matters in the plastic vs. metal debate.
Many are very skeptical about the claimed gas mileage gains using ANY fresh air induction setup, myself included. I've seen zero change in gas mileage since installing my setup.

Like said above, the only time (if any) you'd want to have a block-off would be in a heavy rainstorm, and who really wants to stand outside trying to pop your lid and filter on and off while it's raining hard enough to have made you even worry about it? lol...Can't you just pop off the seal at front of airbox? Or would that not be enough of an area that is no longer sealed?

What exactly is "very close to ambient"? The reason I ask is because any cold air induction that draws air from under the car (or close to being under the car) pretty much can't help but draw hot air from the hot asphalt on the hottest of days. That's a downfall for any of them. I know in cold ambient temps, datalogs show a less than 5 degree difference for me, but during Summer with the hot sun beating down on the asphalt, it's much more than that. I can't believe any setup would deviate from that general rule.

Keep in mind, I think that the FTRA or the SSRA are worthwhile additions, so please don't think I am trying to start a big drawn out debate or flame fest. Just sharing my personal experience and curiosity. Thanks.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:12 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What setup are you running?

We have had tons of customer report back mileage gains. Install university did back to back testing on the same car on the same day and saw significant mileage improvements.

If you are sitting still, yes you are going to get hotter air off the pavement. However, once you are moving, you are going to see ambient air. If you do some searching on here, you will find people that have uploaded ambient air data from the FTRA. We usually see within 5-10 F of ambient even on the hottest days. In comparison, stock breathing is going to see MUCH hotter temperatures because of the under hood head.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rel3rd

BTW, no metal, stainless or otherwise, can disperse heat as quickly or efficiently as composite plastic.
Actually it's just the opposite. Plastic can't disperse heat as quickly as metal. Metal is a good conductor of heat where as plastic is a good insulator. Meaning the plastic just wouldn't get as hot as the metal, but on the flip side in the winter time the plastic wouldn't get as cold either.

Last edited by JonCR96Z; 11-04-2008 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fast Toys Performance Parts
What setup are you running?
I have the other one...only because I came across one, brand new on Ebay, for a "too good to pass up" price.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:41 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
Actually it's just the opposite. Plastic can't disperse heat as quickly as metal. Metal is a good conductor of heat where as plastic is a good insulator. Meaning the plastic just wouldn't get as hot as the metal, but on the flip side in the winter time the plastic wouldn't get as cold either.
Well...I knew what I meant, LOL

Like I said above, both are nice, both are a cheap enough mod for most anyone, and both seem to work equally well. Can't really go wrong with either one.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is very good article on the FTRA that was done a few years ago. Very good unbiased info ... if you have questions about these cold air induction kits they are answered here. Click on the link and then Click on tech articles and then FTRA for the info.

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm

Last edited by slt200mph; 11-04-2008 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:04 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by slt200mph
Here is very good article on the FTRA that was done a few years ago. Very good unbiased info ... if you have questions about these cold air induction kits they are answered here. Click on the link and then Click on tech atricles and then FTRA for the info.

Just so people know, it is totally unbiased. The owner there bought his own kit and did his own testing completely independent from Fast Toys. He let us know when he published the info as a courtesy to us and because he thought it was a great product.

The only caveat is there track testing was 1/8 mile only and results would have been better in the 1/4 mile as the speed increases.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does anyone know who still sells the SSRA? I need a new lower half. Mine broke loading it in a enclosed trailer
Old 11-11-2008, 04:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I've had mine for years, and I hydralocked the motor while it was installed. I still use it, but boy do I get paranoid in near puddles. I rarely use the block-off plate because it needs to be screwed in place so it doesn't move. I always thought it'd be cool to have some sort of cable-actuated cover so you could close the gap from inside the car.

Edit: The hydralocking came from a large pool of standing water in a familar parking lot which was deceptively deep. The rain had already stopped.

Last edited by JimMueller; 11-17-2008 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:58 PM
TECH Regular

had my ssra for like 2 years and no probs. i've driven it through rain so bad you have the wipers on max and still can barely see, gone up and down curbs, over speed bumps, and nothing. granted, my car is stock height, so if you're lowered an inch or 2 your results might differ.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:00 PM
TECH Addict

I just bought the FTRA from WS6Store.com. I loved it the 1st time, so i got it again for the SS.

Ive driven with it through rain, even splashed through some puddles with lots of water. Never had a problem, never put the block off plate either.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:56 AM
TECH Junkie

the deal with increased gas mileage is basically from the less restrictive intake aspect more than the "cold air/ram air" aspect.

the scoop allows the car to breath easier than trying to suck it through that small slot on the stock air box.

i never saw anyting on my car, but i installed a bunch of stuff at the same time..1 week after getting the car.

but i put a "cold air kit" on my wife's jeep 4.0L and we picked up 1.5-2mgp in fuel economy.

THAT's significant.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:33 AM
FormerVendor

Default Fuel economy

Install University did same day testing to validate the mileage increases of the FTRA. Take a look at their site and you can see the results that they achieved.

It's nice to have a mod that makes more power and better fuel economy. The FTRA's are in stock and ready to ship.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:49 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by slt200mph
Here is very good article on the FTRA that was done a few years ago. Very good unbiased info ... if you have questions about these cold air induction kits they are answered here. Click on the link and then Click on tech articles and then FTRA for the info.

This test was done before I invented the SSRA. I didn't purchase my 2002 SS until September 2001. My SS was the testbed for the development of the SSRA.

For the person wondering where to find the SSRA, LMPerformance ----------------------------------->
and other places sell the SSRA.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my SSRA and with proper installation I'm sure the bottom scoop won't break. Of course you have to be careful but what f-body owner isn't? The front bumper on our cars scrape like crazy anyway at stock height and yes you will feel an increase in power. The nose of your car will left up as you punch it.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:07 PM
11 Second Club

on a cam only car that has a slp lid and the free ram air what gains in the 1/4 would i see?
Old 12-01-2008, 11:26 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by bad6as
on a cam only car that has a slp lid and the free ram air what gains in the 1/4 would i see?
1-1.5 MPH are typical with the FTRA.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:24 PM
11 Second Club

man, any way you could extend the free shipping on a lid and ftra
Old 12-01-2008, 03:38 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by bad6as
man, any way you could extend the free shipping on a lid and ftra
Sorry but it was a one day special.

However, if you buy a lid and FTRA at the same time, there is a package price.

Thanks

Quick Reply: FTRA vs SSRA