Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A New Catback, Need Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Unleash
But I have to say the Loud Mouth II is quieter than I was expecting. I thought it was gonna be like cutout loud. But no, it's idle is almost perfect for me. It's fairly deep and mellow. Sounds great going through gears and at WOT it screeeeeams. No drone on the highway, but I do have a 6-speed so I'm sure that helps alot.
hmm right at 80 i have drone with all stock m6 besides lm1 (and lid). im surprised you dont have it with headers and ory. it goes away at like 83 though so not a big deal.

Last edited by Flaring Afro; 11-19-2008 at 02:04 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Flaring Afro
hmm right at 80 i have drone with all stock m6 besides lm1 (and lid). im surprised you dont have it with headers and ory. it goes away at like 83 though so not a big deal.
I don't cruise that fast lol. Typically around 65 on the highways here. Lots of cops. I will try it at 80 tho and see. I think there is a bigger difference than LMI and LMII than people think.

My mechanic friend who helped hadn't ever heard the LM II until yesterday but lots of LMI's. He said he like's it better. It really has no rasp for me at all. But like you I truly am suprised since I have no cats, and headers with ORY.

I was expecting to have to sell it cause it would be too loud. It's definetly not too loud. Maybe not loud enough haha. I'm also curious to see if it will make a tad more power than my stock exhaust. Supposedly that truly wasn't stock on firehawks. It's an SLP aftermarket exhaust. I don't see any SLP markings on it, but it's just what I was told and have read. However I think it may hold back some power. Will see in do time though.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:27 PM
TECH Regular

Default I bought too many F'ing mufflers!!!!!!!!!!

FWIW, I run Mac mids, ory and Gibson cat back. I really like it. It's a bit noisy (raspy) under power at 2200 to 2800rpm but cleans up well after that. At same rpm while cruising it is not bad. Got my Gibson for $270 from Jegs. It is not stainless but I only drive 4-5k miles per year in good weather. It sounds excellent up on top.

So, I have run LM1, LM2 and BorlaMouth all on the same headers and ory.

LM1 was friggin' NOISY with headers, ory, cam, heads and intake. If you are concerned about noise, don't go here. LM1 sounds bad *** in the upper rpm's but it's loud.

LM2 sounded better, for a month or two. After that it was just as raspy and almost as noisy as LM1. Still sounded great 4k-6.5k rpm.

BorlaMouth with Borla XR-1 was better for rasp but it was still there and with the muffler right under the passenger seat the drone in the car was horrid at highway speeds.

As mentioned before the Gibson is very nice. I think getting the mufffler out back helped alot.

Don't be swayed by people running LM1 or LM2 with cats and stock manifolds and saying they have no rasp or it's not too loud. They are right, with their setup, but there is an *** load of difference when you have a LM behind headers and no cats.

Good luck!
Old 11-24-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ yeah, i usually wouldnt recommend it for the reason of it sounding horrible. but some people like me arent ever going to upgrade. i'll never have the money for better performance, and have never drag raced and probably wont more than a few times. then when im out of college, ill want a newer, more reliable car. maybe a used zr1.

I don't cruise that fast lol. Typically around 65 on the highways here. Lots of cops. I will try it at 80 tho and see. I think there is a bigger difference than LMI and LMII than people think.
oh at that speed my exhaust is completely silent. people only get in trouble for 90+ here.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kooks headrs, y pipe with high flow cats, SLP Loudmouth 1, i think it has a reallly deep rumble and not raspy at all.
JFYI, THE stock exhaust system that comes on Firehawk and Camaro SS is on the General motors dealers parts computers.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Shockwave179
Stainless Gibson is $467

http://www.lmperformance.com/16645/1.html

Comes with 4 inch tips, which some may not like but I think it's one of the easier catbacks to have corsa clones put on as another option. Also louder than stock slp dual dual but not quite as loud as a loudmouth.

+1 on Gibson. Great product.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tatasta
+1 on Gibson. Great product.
Looks like a quality product and from the sound of it, seems like people are satisfied with it, but gosh I don't know about those 4" tips!
Old 12-30-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmm, I was also thinking of Magnaflow. Found a sponser with some on sale. But I was told it isn't much louder than my stock exhaust. I will keep looking and thanks for the input.

I've never heard of gibson. How is it? 4 Inch seems pretty big but it's all relative.

I may end up getting LM II, that's what I've wanted. I know GMMG is awesome but they are pricey. Then again you get what you pay for.
magnaflow isn't a whole lot louder than stock, i had gibson on my truck before i sold it and was really impressed with how it sounded (i can't speak for the muscle car exhaust) as for the SLP LM II why don't you start your car up and listen since it says in your sig that you already have it