Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ported MAF

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008 | 09:36 PM
TECH Regular

Default Ported MAF

Any one ever figure out a way to fill in the holes left after removing the center fin thing?
Old 11-12-2008 | 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i wouldnt worry about it
Old 11-12-2008 | 10:41 PM
LSX Mechanic

If you haven't already done it, don't port the MAF. Just take out the screen.
Old 11-12-2008 | 10:57 PM
TECH Regular

I have both actually, my stock and the ported one. Why do you say dont port it? Theres not a whole lot of material taken off. Its mostly just has the fin thing removed and smoothed out a bit. I was actually thinking about putting the screen on the "de-fined" one.
Old 11-12-2008 | 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Listen to Damian, I have learned the hard way on porting a maf. The devider is there to direct the air to the little wires. Without that it doesn't get the correct air metering and will make it go way lean and cause spark knock. The only way it will ever work right is if you can find a tuner and have them recalibrate the maf. I have never had a problem removing just the screen but the devider is a no no. I know alot of people do it but they are just lucky they havent burnt a piston yet.
Old 11-12-2008 | 11:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i dont think your MAF was the problem. my 97 LT1 had fully ported MAF ends with no center divider and it was fine. my 99 WS6 has a granatelli MAF with no divider and its fine.
Old 11-12-2008 | 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by noriceinside
i dont think your MAF was the problem. my 97 LT1 had fully ported MAF ends with no center divider and it was fine. my 99 WS6 has a granatelli MAF with no divider and its fine.
It was in fact the problem on both of my cars. Honestly just driving it seemed just fine but after a log using EFI Live it was enough to scare me. I changed back to the unported ends and logged again and everything was good. A tuner once told me what I was talking about above and made sense to me, also fixed my problem. Maybe some cars react differant, who knows

Trending Topics

Old 11-13-2008 | 12:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if you said it causes it to go way rich i'd believe you. my car sucks fuel fast.
Old 11-13-2008 | 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

That does make sense. Don't know how well you know how the pcm works but once the O2s see a very lean condition they will try to correct it buy adding alot of fuel. So yea that very well could happen. I don't want to get in some fighting match but honestly I would find a buddy with EFI or HP tuner and have them run a log on how your car is reacting. You would be surprised what is going on. But like I said if you tune the maf tables to run a ported maf then it will be fine. It's not possible for an engine to run and perform correct if you have a modified maf when the maf table is set to stock. It's like runnng a cammed car on a stock tune. The pcm doesn't know what has been changed. To the original poster, if you want go ahead and try it but make sure that somebody can log it after just to make sure you aren't getting lean spikes or KR under a load. Let us know how it worked out
Old 11-13-2008 | 01:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i understand pretty well. ive monitored my adaptives. short term no more than +/-5%. cant recall long term but it was nothing major.
Old 11-13-2008 | 01:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i would just assume that the O2s would provide the accurate information the MAF missed and the A/F ratio would be ok again.
Old 11-13-2008 | 02:30 AM
Staging Lane

so how much hp did u make destroying ur maf?

why do u people do stupid mods like this and expect any good from it?.. let me ask you something... if the car companies could save a quick buck would they do it??... uhm i think so. so if things like the maf screen werent important, you think it wouldnt be there? not to mention the engineers who put alot of time and effort to build a machine that works and LASTS. despite what you may think youre not making ur engine perform any better when youre really just causing a strain and a burden on it. shaving ur maf for ur stock isnt very logical imo. do all this stupid stuff to ur cars and then yall wonder why the car next to u passes u by and u run into so many problems and have such poor performance. sry dude im havin a bad day but its all still true
Old 11-13-2008 | 02:39 AM
Banned

Just curious, but why port a MAF????

Is it really going to make the car faster? I'm thinking....no way in hell will it do anything.

No?

And what are "ported MAF ends"?
Old 11-13-2008 | 06:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by mvvette97
That does make sense. Don't know how well you know how the pcm works but once the O2s see a very lean condition they will try to correct it buy adding alot of fuel. So yea that very well could happen. I don't want to get in some fighting match but honestly I would find a buddy with EFI or HP tuner and have them run a log on how your car is reacting. You would be surprised what is going on. But like I said if you tune the maf tables to run a ported maf then it will be fine. It's not possible for an engine to run and perform correct if you have a modified maf when the maf table is set to stock. It's like runnng a cammed car on a stock tune. The pcm doesn't know what has been changed. To the original poster, if you want go ahead and try it but make sure that somebody can log it after just to make sure you aren't getting lean spikes or KR under a load. Let us know how it worked out

+1,000,000. This post & the others that have explained what needs to be done to the tuning after modifying the MAF are correct.

I have tuning software & can say that MAF mods without re-scaling the MAF table are a mistake. The fuel trims will be maxed out. If a PCM's trims are set to max @ +/- 5% then it will show +/- 5% even though it may need to be +/- 20% in order to properly account for the change. Further, it's usually not just the MAF that an owner modifies. It's also a CAI & a TB. Every intake modification should be tuned in order to take full advantage of the modification & to leave the PCM's fuel trims available for any driving conditions that may require trim. Just because some have gotten away w/ it, doesn't make it correct.
Old 11-13-2008 | 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've seen ported MAF ends work in person, on my car. With ported MAF ends and an underdrive pulley, my car picked up 13 rwhp without tuning. Pretty sure the pulley did not account for all 13 rwhp.
Old 11-13-2008 | 11:03 AM
12 Second Club

Over the years it seems that a ported Maf works best on m6 cars, NOT Auto cars. When I brough my LTS,3.73's,CAI, in for a tune, it was running WAYYYY lean at idle because of the ported maf, and was actually causing me to run slow BEFORE the tune. He is a very good tuner and currently has the LSX nitrous record, told me that I should look for a stock UNported maf to use instead. I trust what he says.
Old 11-13-2008 | 11:09 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks to those that replied with out being *** holes. There was no need for that. It was a spare MAF so no harm done. It was fun to do it any way so . I'm getting the car tuned any way and was just looking to squeeze every once out of it I could. But I do see what people are saying about the fin thing. But as for the screen, the way some one explained it to me a long time ago was that the screen is there for stock cars to straighten out the air flow after it goes through the air silencer box thing thats after a stock lid. Because, that thing causes all kinds of turbulence, so...since I'm not going to have the stock lid no need for the screen. Right?
Old 11-13-2008 | 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CayenneRedV6
Thanks to those that replied with out being *** holes. There was no need for that. It was a spare MAF so no harm done. It was fun to do it any way so . I'm getting the car tuned any way and was just looking to squeeze every once out of it I could. But I do see what people are saying about the fin thing. But as for the screen, the way some one explained it to me a long time ago was that the screen is there for stock cars to straighten out the air flow after it goes through the air silencer box thing thats after a stock lid. Because, that thing causes all kinds of turbulence, so...since I'm not going to have the stock lid no need for the screen. Right?
You should be fine with no screen. I've also heard that it's there to straighten out the air. I think removing the screen is fine on our cars since the maf is a straight shot to the throttle body. On the other hand the LT1 cars probably need the screen since they have that air box that is swisted around down the drivers side.
Old 11-13-2008 | 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mvvette97
I think removing the screen is fine on our cars since the maf is a straight shot to the throttle body. On the other hand the LT1 cars probably need the screen since they have that air box that is swisted around down the drivers side.
Precisely, same goes for GTOs I would assume. My car is running just fine with the ported ends and no screen, so you'll be just fine. Just FYI, my ported MAF ends are the aluminum ends from Thunder Racing.
Old 11-14-2008 | 12:31 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blazingz28
Over the years it seems that a ported Maf works best on m6 cars, NOT Auto cars. When I brough my LTS,3.73's,CAI, in for a tune, it was running WAYYYY lean at idle because of the ported maf, and was actually causing me to run slow BEFORE the tune. He is a very good tuner and currently has the LSX nitrous record, told me that I should look for a stock UNported maf to use instead. I trust what he says.

Thats true..the auto cars use the MAF to calculate load so the PCM can add
the proper line pressure. You only need to remove the screen..even then
the tranny might shift alittle soft. Some cars need to have the tranny line pressure bumped up alittle after messing with the screen. Good luck.
Oh i thought of something...more than likely a tuner can reduce that pushing effect that i mentioned above.

Last edited by BlackNiteWS6; 11-14-2008 at 01:44 PM.