Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building true duals, Dr Gas X and what else?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003 | 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building true duals, Dr Gas X and what else?

I'd like to put true duals on my car in the future but would like to look into what all it's going to take to make it complete. First I know I need to get the universal x-pipe kit from Dr. Gas. It looks like I will also have to order two 3-bolt flange adapters to weld to the Hooker LT's so I can bolt the X-pipe up to them. Now, after the Dr. Gas x kit I'm guessing I might need some extra 3" tubing and maybe a J bend to cut up to get far enough back to place the mufflers. Then what types of mufflers would work best? I'm guessing either the chambered mufflers or bullets since they wouldn't have the clearance issues the box type mufflers have. Any problem with the fuel lines running right above the exhaust? I'm guessing I'll need some hangers for the exhaust too. Will 2 hangers be enough? I'll probably be the one welding it up so I can get it to fit up tight without banging.

Finally would dumping it right before the axle still be relatively quiet in the car? I can stand the sound of a "clean" loud exhaust , but not resonance/rasp/rattling inside the cabin. Do any of you true dualers have any problems with that kind of noise?
Old 09-23-2003 | 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Building true duals, Dr Gas X and what else?

ttt
Old 09-23-2003 | 04:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://ls1tech.com/threads/showflat...14&fpart=1
Old 09-23-2003 | 04:13 PM
10 Second Club

Sound is really subjective, so cabin loudness is difficult to guess at. My experience is that it will definately be louder in the cabin dumping in front of the rear axle, and you can get resonance there. Dumping out the side ahead of the wheels is quieter and out the back quietest. All with the same muffler, of course, but it depends heavily on which muffler you use. And that depends on how quiet you want it to be. Anything straight through is going to be loud.

You are pretty close on the necessary pieces. If you are going to do the welding, I'm not sure it makes sense to buy the Dr Gas kit or even the Jeg's one. You can make the X from U-bends.

Re fuel lines - depends on how close you get. Some guys reroute them, but that looks like a major pain to me.