Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers...which do you think are the best?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003 | 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Headers...which do you think are the best?

can I still use my cats with the pacesetter longtubes? I am looking for headers that I can use my cats. I was thinking of going with the SLP route, but was looking for something cheaper!
Old 09-24-2003 | 10:12 AM
11 Second Club

Kooks even though there website is down
Old 09-24-2003 | 10:15 AM
Humanitarian

If you are willing to spend money and want interchangable cats then go with FLP.

Pacesetter's y-pipe does not have cats.
Old 09-24-2003 | 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Stainless Works...
304 stainless headers WITH a 3" 304 stainless y-pipe, PLUS a lifetime warranty for MSRP of $699...
Old 09-24-2003 | 11:48 AM
Teching In

2000 Firehawk
What brand and where?
Old 09-24-2003 | 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They advertise at the top of this page...
STAINLESS WORKS
Old 09-25-2003 | 04:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok which is it? In your title you ask "Which do you think are best?" And in your post you ask "looking for some legit advice on what brand they prefer..." In other words, 1)Do you want best bang for your buck...where you may or may not have to get creative with what you bought or 2) Do you want a complete kit that has been tested with proven performance gains and would require you get a retired organ grinding monkey to install it? To each his own...some take pride in making things work in order to save a buck or two; and on the other hand some people would rather not have to spank the monkey to get things to work right the first time. I don't want to say "You get what you pay for...because it seems that there are a lot of LS1 aftermarket parts vendors that simply just charge too much. Do your research, ask people who actually have the equipment-as for me, I don't like to spank my monkey a whole lot-but I do like to hammer my 98.

Ok, let me see if I can make this clearer for you (maybe more confusing, who knows)... I'm looking for people who have installed or have had installed for them headers on their cars and what they think of how they sound, performance gains, how much modifying had to be done to make them fit, if you can run cat's with them, how pricy they were, etc. Even better if they have installed multiple types of headers and which ones they preferred (believe me, there are some people out there with money to spend who would do such a thing...I've run into them before...). I, unfortunately, do not have the money to hire a retired organ grinding monkey (where would I find one of those by the way?), but if you mean have a shop put them in, yeah that I'll pay for. I don't want to go around jacking my engine out (considering I don't have a cherry-picker or a lift this would be entertaining to see...) and I would like them to go in right the first time. I'm looking for a kit (like SLP's for instance) that can be taken to a shop and installed without having to modify the equipment I just purchased or the car itself. Headers that require an off-road y-pipe and won't work with cat's isn't an option either. My baby is my daily driver and I would need the car to pass inspection, thus I need the damn cat's. Is that better? or did I just make it worse?
Old 09-25-2003 | 05:41 PM
Staging Lane

Well I have installed both Hookers and Pacesetters on two different vehicle's. I can tell you this, they look similar but are not the same. The O2 bungs on the Pasesetters point inward and the Hookers point outward, which is kind of a pain on the Hookers cause you have to notch the fuel and brake line heat shield on the driverside. I also noticed that the posistion of the AIR tube connection on the Pacesetters is a PITA because you have to modify you factory air tube to mount up where we did not have this problem on the Hookers. Both were about equal on install time. As far as your cats are concerned I think with any long tubes your gonna need to buy a Y-pipe with aftermarket cats or butcher up your factory one's to work with long tubes. If the state you live in uses emission testing like Ca. ANY long tubes are illegal because it moves the cats from their original posistion. Now some IM testers will just look to see if the cats are their and not worry about the posistion. I hope this helps some???
Old 09-25-2003 | 07:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I have installed both Hookers and Pacesetters on two different vehicle's. I can tell you this, they look similar but are not the same. The O2 bungs on the Pasesetters point inward and the Hookers point outward, which is kind of a pain on the Hookers cause you have to notch the fuel and brake line heat shield on the driverside. I also noticed that the posistion of the AIR tube connection on the Pacesetters is a PITA because you have to modify you factory air tube to mount up where we did not have this problem on the Hookers. Both were about equal on install time. As far as your cats are concerned I think with any long tubes your gonna need to buy a Y-pipe with aftermarket cats or butcher up your factory one's to work with long tubes. If the state you live in uses emission testing like Ca. ANY long tubes are illegal because it moves the cats from their original posistion. Now some IM testers will just look to see if the cats are their and not worry about the posistion. I hope this helps some???

Yes! Now that's what I'm looking for! Finally someone gets it right! Thanks for the info on both the hookers and the pacesetters. It's nice to know what kind of extra work is going to be involved trying to install the long tubes before getting them. I do plan on getting aftermarket cat's and a y-pipe anyway, most likely from the same company I purchase the headers from for ease of fit, so having the stock ones not fitting isn't an issue (thanks for the heads up though). As for the emissions testing, as long as the detector they stick in the tailpipe doesn't detect a high level of pollution they're looking for, the system is good to go. I know CA is a little more strict on pollution - I've never heard of not being able to move the cat's, as long as they're doing their job.
Old 09-25-2003 | 09:05 PM
TECH Junkie

i was wondering the same thing about headers, how long with the pace setters last with daily driving? and can u run cats with them?
My car is a daily driver. 110K!! Unfortunately Pacesetter does not offer a "catted" Y.go with the ORY & a Bullet........ There WILL be rasp, if you don't!!
Old 09-25-2003 | 09:21 PM
Teching In

There are many headers being made for the LS1 these days...and to truly decide what is through the experiences of all here and your own personal preference. Look into PPC headers as they have a complete kit that includes the CATS as well as the Y pipe with all the hardware needed to completelt install it yourself.
Old 09-26-2003 | 01:04 PM
Staging Lane

[I know CA is a little more strict on pollution - I've never heard of not being able to move the cat's, as long as they're doing their job]

Ya we got it bad here in Ca.
Old 09-26-2003 | 02:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have TTS and love em, they came as a "kit" like you said. But they are as exspensive as the SLPs. Almost any coated header with cats in the Y are going to be pretty close in cost.
Old 09-30-2003 | 05:11 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

I have QTP headers on order and noticed they sell two different catted Y's plus an off-road Y, but these babies ain't cheap. I plan to butcher my SLP Y to force it to accomidate the QTP headers and aftermarket cats; we'll see how that goes! When you have a sawsall and a MIG you make anything fit . . .