Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My pacesetters took a shit!! PIX inside!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nprather
just take it of and get that hole welded up and lose that A.I.R bull **** and EGR bull ****
werd!
Old 03-18-2009, 03:13 PM
Teching In

It just happend to me, only 10000 miles with these Pace setter , grrrrrrr

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-18-2009, 03:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by adam02gt
Wow that really sucks. Have you thought about the edelbrock stepped headers?
I have the coated ones... 2-1/2 years and they still look great.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:43 PM
Banned Village Idiot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol old thread, i just got my new Kook's 1 7/8"
Old 03-18-2009, 04:16 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Hey Guys, The reason why they break off is due to engine harmonics combined with the block off plate being too heavy. We make it a point to check with our customers regarding usage of Air/EGR fittings prior to purchasing. This has led to no broken Air Fittings on ARH's. The other thing we did to lesson the possibility of breakage is go with lighter weight flanges on our fittings. Lastly and most important is that we use only U.S. sourced S/S. Chinese sourced S/S are brittle and more prone to breaking. If you have big and bulky block off plates, replace them with something thinner and lighter. It may make all the difference.

Nick
Old 03-18-2009, 07:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1BLKSS
lol old thread, i just got my new Kook's 1 7/8"
Could you post some pics of the install? What they look like when installed, cause I am dead even deciding between kooks and ARHs.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If this is happening to so many products, wouldn't this be considered a design flaw in the product and be eligible for a some type of compensation from the manufacturer? Or possibly a recall of sorts? I see Nick from ARH spoke up that they are taking preventative measures, props to you for that. But still, if these break off on my headers you better believe the manufacturer is going to hear about it. You can't just sell a product knowing full well that it is inevitibly partially going to fail and then require repair. Thats shitty.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:59 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mumbles
If this is happening to so many products, wouldn't this be considered a design flaw in the product and be eligible for a some type of compensation from the manufacturer?
I wouldn't think so....It seems to be happening when people are using block off plates.

So...just order race version headers and don't worry about it.... Or keep EGR/AIR...but who does that?
Old 03-19-2009, 02:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
All headers w/ emissions fittings will eventually blow them off, capping them off typically will help that process happen quicker.

Every header manufacturer put the AIR tube into the primary, weld, the cut/grind on the inside smooth, the metal gets paper thin compared to the primary tube and enough heat cycles and pressure, BAM it comes off.
Originally Posted by jetlag
I wouldn't think so....It seems to be happening when people are using block off plates.

So...just order race version headers and don't worry about it.... Or keep EGR/AIR...but who does that?
I don't agree. Look at the above quote. Also, I am keeping my AIR and EGR for the time-being. That may change in the future, but for now thats what will be on my car and the headers I use had better be able to support it without me having to fix them.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:48 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mumbles
I don't agree. Look at the above quote. Also, I am keeping my AIR and EGR for the time-being. That may change in the future, but for now thats what will be on my car and the headers I use had better be able to support it without me having to fix them.
AIR system is to help the catalytic converters warm up quicker or something so they do not fail.

Do you have catalytic converters? If not, why keep the AIR system? lol
Old 03-19-2009, 08:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine are coated and 5 years old with over 120,000 miles on them and they still look great....
Old 03-19-2009, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jetlag
AIR system is to help the catalytic converters warm up quicker or something so they do not fail.

Do you have catalytic converters? If not, why keep the AIR system? lol
Yeah, I do have cats. The factory ones for now and soon I will be running a catted Y to match my LTs with emissions fittings once I get both installed.
I do agree with removing the AIR system if you go the ORY route. Saves weight and obviously they are useless once you have no cats for them to heat up.
Our original topic though was the Emissions Fittings on the Longtubes that were breaking off. I believe if they are destined to blow off, either with or without block off plates, that they are not performing the duty they are intended to perform. If that is the case, then I still agree with my previous statement of calling this issue a Design Flaw or at least a manufacturing issue. The part is not funtioning as it has claimed it would. Those with block off plates, I could see a manufacturer saying you are not using them as were intended and that is why they failed. Still bullshit, but thats what would happen. But if I hook up my emissions equipment to these products as they are designed to have done and they eventually bust off, I'm gonna be pissed and the company I got them from will hear about it. And I will be glad to tell them that this is a very common problem that obviously needs attention.
I hope I'm not coming across as stand-off-ish, because thats not what I'm trying to do here. I believe you should get what you pay for. And if you don't it should be made right in some way, shape or form. I wouldn't feel right if I made a product that people pay their hard earned money for knowing it has a defect that may or may not cause it to fail prematurely. So I expect the same from the people and products I give my money to. =-)