Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Temp sensor problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temp sensor problems

So I have a 2000 camaro ss and about two weeks ago a buddy and I were installing kooks longtube headers and during the installing my friend broke the temperature sensor clip so that it no longer holds the wire in. Well I went and got another temperature sensor and installed it only to find out that it doesn't work... my temperature gauge doesn't do anything.. So I return the sensor and try another one.... doesn't work... Okay... So I try to put the old stock sensor back in, the one with the broken clip, and what do you know?! It works again! So now I'm just wondering what I'm doing wrong with the new sensors? None of the new ones work and the wire keeps falling off the stock one. Is there any serious problems that could arise from a non-working temperature sensor?
Old 12-02-2008, 03:03 PM

and I realized I posted this on the wrong thread..
Old 12-02-2008, 03:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What "clip" broke? One of the ECT pins or the harness connector? You need to get it working, the PCM needs the ECT input.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:08 PM

the black plastic part that you plug the wire into and it clips in, is what broke off. i just don't understand why the new sensors i put in don't do anything..
Old 12-02-2008, 03:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't know why the sensors you bought didn't work, they were 2 wire sensors right? The '98's have 3 wire sensors, '99 and up 2 wire. Anyway, sounds like your problem is with the connector - wires should already be plugged into it - contact is made with the pins at the sensor.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by evogreg8
So I have a 2000 camaro ss and about two weeks ago a buddy and I were installing kooks longtube headers and during the installing my friend broke the temperature sensor clip so that it no longer holds the wire in. Well I went and got another temperature sensor and installed it only to find out that it doesn't work... my temperature gauge doesn't do anything.. So I return the sensor and try another one.... doesn't work... Okay... So I try to put the old stock sensor back in, the one with the broken clip, and what do you know?! It works again! So now I'm just wondering what I'm doing wrong with the new sensors? None of the new ones work and the wire keeps falling off the stock one. Is there any serious problems that could arise from a non-working temperature sensor?
Can you attach the wire to the clip by using some glue or a simular item

Just return the new ones if you can
Old 12-02-2008, 08:21 PM

stupid me, there was something wrong with the wire harness buts its fixed now, thanks though.