Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Straight Pipes Too Loud?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 03:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Straight Pipes Too Loud?

I'm still paying off debt from my last hell ride so I'm kinda on a budget & this SS I bought is all stock and this quiet exhaust is killing me. I was wondering if I just got rid of the muffler would it be annoyingly loud or just right? I don't want attention just wanna hear it purr.
Old 09-24-2003, 03:38 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Straight Pipes Too Loud?

no muffler will be pretty loud...ever heard a loudmouth??? it will be like that with no rumbles...
now if you just put in a dynomax bullet instead...it will sound pretty good...but it will still be loud
Old 09-24-2003, 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Now whats your deffinition of loud.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:39 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

true...true...touchet' ...

My duals are loud....but thats not loud to me...until about 5000rpm...then it starts to get loud because of the higher pitch.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Straight Pipes Too Loud?
In a word...yes. I drove around for about 4 months with no muffler and is sounded like ***.

Why not just get a cutout? That way you can uncap it and get the loudness, and close it up when you want it to be quiet?
Old 09-24-2003, 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a cut-out and haven't closed it in like 8 months, it's not a DD but I love the sound of me setting car alarms off (and oh yeah, the engine too)LOL. I say go for it, You'll probably drop a lot of weight too.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have my muffler cut off and my cats gutted! Been like this for almost 6 months and I have been told that my car is the nicest sounding LS1 with stock manifolds and stock cam. I love it!
But I do want dynatechs and a lumpy cam with true duals and Flomaster DeltaForce mufflers .
Old 09-25-2003, 12:28 AM
On The Tree

I was on a budget for a while and added some hp to my car in the process by removing muffler, modifying airbox, ported TB, FRA, gutting cats.
It won't be too loud, but the drone and popping will get annoying after a while.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:57 AM
Teching In

This will probably only be for a few weeks till I get money saved up for a setup my exhaust guy does for all the F-bodies around here. He seems to think (as well as alot of his customers) think that the Borla loudmouth is the best sounding system made for these cars. Plus he says its better for performance than true duals.
Old 09-25-2003, 10:10 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This will probably only be for a few weeks till I get money saved up for a setup my exhaust guy does for all the F-bodies around here. He seems to think (as well as alot of his customers) think that the Borla loudmouth is the best sounding system made for these cars. Plus he says its better for performance than true duals.
I suggest you do some more research on the matter (exhaust on our cars in general).
Old 09-25-2003, 10:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a set of LT's without any pipe, just straight header!
Old 09-26-2003, 04:11 AM
On The Tree

Don't know what a Borla Loudmouth is unless its a Borla catback with the plates removed There is a SLP Loudmouth. And NO a catback will not perform better than a good dual exhaust setup with high flow mufflers.
Old 09-26-2003, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

Do the Dynomouth. You'll love it and it's inexpensive. The 12" bullet muffler is only $36.00 ($50 after shipping fees). Take it to a muffler shop and have them remove the stock muffler and install a pipe where it used to be. Then have them install the 12" dynomax bullet race muffler in the I-pipe right behind the rear axel.

It flows better then all the catbacks except for loudmouth (which flows the same), sounds deep and throaty at idle, loud at acceleration and screams at WOT. Best part is there is no drone or rasp if you keep the cats.

The shop should charge about $100.00 and the muffler should be $50 so for $150 you'll sound great and have decent HP gains over stock.

Good Luck
Old 09-26-2003, 07:17 PM
Staging Lane

I dont know about Borla being a better performing than true duals, but I would say my favorite sounding exhaust on a otherwise stock car is borla, just my opinion.

Quick Reply: Straight Pipes Too Loud?