Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JAAM vs. current setup?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 10:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default JAAM vs. current setup?

Right now I have my hood debaffled, and then I took some foam around the front of the box, so that the two upper nostrils are sealed to the box. Or as close as possible I hope.

I was looking at the JAAM ram air from FTP, but I'm not sure if I want it. It looks a lot nicer than mine.... since mine is kinda duct taped in currently... lol. And it uses all four nostrils instead just the two upper ones like mine. But at the same time, mine is completely sealed, and theirs has three big holes cut in the metal bottom plate... so I don't know.

What do you guys think? Thanks
Old 12-07-2008, 01:04 AM
Launching!

well i took that idea and just had my dad make me one at his machine shop. The 3 holes are for the hood latch, the catch and the window washer fluid. Not sure if it really does alot as far as Hp gains but it sure does make the car look alot better overal i think.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:02 AM
12 Second Club

Well, what would you think vs what I have now. I don't really care a whole lot what it looks like... My hood doesn't get opened a whole lot. But power-wise I do.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

I have the Jamms. I was looking for something that (1st) looked good and looked liked it belonged there,,,, and performance..

Does all the above...IMO.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:01 PM
FormerVendor

The JAAM kit is nice because it very functional and also looks professional (no ghetto duct tape). It also includes the lower deflector plate which makes the bottom nostrils on the hood functional and dresses up the engine bay.

There is more info you can read about the kit on our web site:

http://fasttoys.net/shop/product_inf...oducts_id=1475

The JAAM kits are on sale right now through our web site or you can call us at 877-955-4896. The sale will be ending soon so you get your kit if you want one

Thanks!
Old 12-09-2008, 12:10 PM
12 Second Club

So you don't think that the holes in the bottom plate will release any pressure build up (or just purely let warm air it from below) that it could make with the two extra nostrils vs. my setup?
Old 12-09-2008, 12:13 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Speedmonster185
So you don't think that the holes in the bottom plate will release any pressure build up (or just purely let warm air it from below) that it could make with the two extra nostrils vs. my setup?
The holes in the bottom plate only affect the bottom nostrils. The top nostrils are sealed to the hood with no holes.

JAAM did a lot of testing when they developed the kit and found a significant increaes in performance when using the bottom plate in conjuction with the top portion. There is no way to seal the bottom nostrils to the air box so the deflector plate was the next best thing.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:21 PM
12 Second Club

So I'm confused then a little.... I've looked at the pictures, and I'm still confused. If the top nostrils are sealed to the airbox, what do they bottom ones do? My impression was that all four were "sealed" to the airbox, with the foam on the top, and then the metal plate on the bottom.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:55 PM
FormerVendor

So I'm confused then a little.... I've looked at the pictures, and I'm still confused. If the top nostrils are sealed to the airbox, what do they bottom ones do? My impression was that all four were "sealed" to the airbox, with the foam on the top, and then the metal plate on the bottom.

Let me see if I can explain it better. The kit comes with seals that go around the top nostril opening on the underside of the hood. These seals go up against the top and left and right side of the air box when you shut the hood. When closed, the front of the air box is still open towards the bottom to allow air to come in from the lower nostrils. The lower deflector plate installs in front of the air box to provide a path from the lower snorkils into the front of the air box. This allows both nostrils to feed the air box at the same time.

Hope that makes sense!
Old 12-11-2008, 02:12 PM
12 Second Club

Ahhhh, ok. I see now. Thanks. So it sounds like there would be possibly more air getting in, but also with the possibility of it being slightly warmer because of the holes in the lower plate.

Anyway, how long is that sale of yours going to be going on?
Old 12-11-2008, 02:28 PM
FormerVendor

Ahhhh, ok. I see now. Thanks. So it sounds like there would be possibly more air getting in, but also with the possibility of it being slightly warmer because of the holes in the lower plate.

Anyway, how long is that sale of yours going to be going on?
Sale will likely run until December 23rd.

JAAM found the air pressure was improved with the lower deflector in place vs. just using the upper nostrils.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kinda makes you wonder why pontiac didnt do that from the start...I know.. I know.. NO S*@T.. just my .02..

Last edited by z28241; 12-11-2008 at 11:52 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:29 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by z28241
Kinda makes you wonder why pontiac didnt do that from the start...I know.. I know.. NO S*@T.. just my .02..
They didn't do it because sealing the hood to the intake means that there is a possibility that the car can injest water in heavy rains.

Manufacturers do lots of things to decrease the cost of warranty related work which costs them money in the long run.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:39 PM
TECH Resident

Does anyone have any pictures of the JAAM with how the lower plate fits up to the airbox? Does the plate just block off the bottom or funnel air towards the air box opening rather than below it?
Old 05-21-2009, 03:05 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
Does anyone have any pictures of the JAAM with how the lower plate fits up to the airbox? Does the plate just block off the bottom or funnel air towards the air box opening rather than below it?
If you email us at sales@fasttoys.net we can send you a copy of the instructions and you can see the detailed pictures.

Thanks
Old 05-21-2009, 04:26 PM
10 Second Club

Any pressure you may achieve through the hood nostrils is being released by the gaping holes in the JAAM plate. Just seal your hood to the airbox, especially if you don't care about looks. Here is a little tip. Find a rear hood seal, trim and run it around the inside opening if the hood to seal it to the airbox. Use aluminum rivets in the holes you drilled to debaffle to secure the seal, you may want to drill a few extra . Cover the holes in the bottom of the hood with rubber grommets/black silicone. If you want to get really crazy, fab a funnel for inside the hood like the BGRA out of sheet aluminum. You can do all this for much less than $50 and get a shiny new Pop Rivet tool out of it. Good luck,

Larry

Last edited by VIPRETR2; 05-21-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have that same kit and it looks great and i picked up 3mph at the track and i was spining bad before my best time was a 12.98 at 107mph with a 2.06 60 ft after the kit i ran a 13.14 at 110mph with a 2.43 60 ft couldnt hook at all that night bad track prep but i love that kit looks great and performs very well also pulls much harder on the highway from 50mph and up! my car 02 ws6 a4 full exhaust lid tune
Old 05-22-2009, 02:45 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 97ta383
I have that same kit and it looks great and i picked up 3mph at the track and i was spining bad before my best time was a 12.98 at 107mph with a 2.06 60 ft after the kit i ran a 13.14 at 110mph with a 2.43 60 ft couldnt hook at all that night bad track prep but i love that kit looks great and performs very well also pulls much harder on the highway from 50mph and up! my car 02 ws6 a4 full exhaust lid tune
What did you have before?

Quick Reply: JAAM vs. current setup?