Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New design SLP header owners come in...

Old 12-13-2008, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New design SLP header owners come in...

Are they great in terms of ease of install, fit and finish or do you wish you bought ARHs? Need to make up my mind.. Thanks
Old 12-13-2008, 09:07 AM
TECH Regular

I know your looking for opinions for the new design but I figured I would speak up anyway. I have the original design headers cats and y pipe. The finish and fit are great, they look awesome still. The install took about 5 hrs start to finish (and that includes installing the dipstick from up top because I forgot to put it back on ) The trans mount had to be taken loose and the trans slid to the opposite side for each side. But other than that it wasn't too bad. And keep in mind that this was my first header install. So keep in mind that they took care of all of the prior issues of the original design.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

imo, i would go with the ARH's. i have them and they fit great with no issues. If you are concerned with the headers hanging low then go with ARH's. If you want awesome quality and customer service... you guessed it.. ARH's.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys..if possible, I'd like to hear from someone who actually has the new design..
Old 12-13-2008, 11:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 182 Likes on 141 Posts

Whats up dude! I have there new style headers and i love them. The fit perfect. I did them by myself in alittle over five hours on my back. The finish is nice but i have only had them half a year so i guess i'll see how they hold up in a few year from now. Also the slide right up you don't need to lossen the trans mount or anything. You just take the old ones down (which took longer to do then put the new one up) and slide the new one up! I was happy with them. I'm untuned and i ran a 12.83 with just the headers and catback. The ls6 dropped me from there to what i have now.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:27 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by F8L_LS1
imo, i would go with the ARH's. i have them and they fit great with no issues. If you are concerned with the headers hanging low then go with ARH's. If you want awesome quality and customer service... you guessed it.. ARH's.
umm in case you didn't know the new designed slps dont hang low, only the old ones do. To the op i cant tell you about the new designed ones but i have the old ones and overall they aren't as bad as everyone makes them out to be. To install mine it wasn't much of a hassle all we had to do was remove the oil filter because for some reason it was in the way but other then that nothing had to be removed or adjusted. The finish on them is still good and i have had mine for about 5 years plus on top of that i bought them used so they are probably around 6 years old. The only problem i have with them is the ground clearance but since the new design has much better clearance i would think that it would be a great header system. Now whether or not they are better then the arh's i really cant give you a comparison on that since i have never had a set of those
Old 12-13-2008, 11:37 AM
TECH Addict

there is a great article in the Feb issue of GMHTP on the new headers, catted y, and the powerflo catback on page 60. sounds like a good setup from the article. baseline: 301.6 hp and 315.9 lb-ft to 335 hp and 340 lb-ft, picked up 33.4hp and 24.1 lb-ft with no other changes...from the pictures it didnt even have a lid! i would say thats a solid gain! the car was an 02 Camaro SS M6 for reference also the article said it only hangs 3/4 of an inch lower than stock.

Last edited by jrob56; 12-13-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:42 AM
12 Second Club

honestly it does seem like the design isn't much different from the slp to the arh so i would imagine that you would get the same flow but the arh i believe are 1 7/8 headers. I really don't know much about them. You might be able to get 1 3/4's. I'll have to search and see. Many people say don't go 1 7/8 unless you have a 383 or bigger fully built motor.

I forgot to add i had to take my oil filter off too
Old 12-13-2008, 12:17 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They're roughly the same price, and each set has its advantages.

SLP's have the advantage of being coated. The ARH's are not. With the SLP's, you get a stainless steel longtube that is ceramic coated to provide better insulation and keep heat out of the engine bay and maintain exhaust velocity.

ARH's have the advantage of having merge collectors and a little better merge on their y-pipe.

For all intents and purposes, from what I've read, the fit and finish on each seem to be similar. We all know how headers are. Most fit fine, but sometimes you have issues, usually due to the tolerances in your car and the condition of your motor mounts, not the headers themselves.

Just weigh your options. Would you rather have better merges or coating? It's a shame that SLP couldn't have added a merge collector on their new design. I'm really shocked they didn't.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:19 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28SteveA4
honestly it does seem like the design isn't much different from the slp to the arh so i would imagine that you would get the same flow but the arh i believe are 1 7/8 headers. I really don't know much about them. You might be able to get 1 3/4's. I'll have to search and see. Many people say don't go 1 7/8 unless you have a 383 or bigger fully built motor.

I forgot to add i had to take my oil filter off too
They're both 1 3/4". You can get 1 7/8" headers from American Racing but for most people on this site it will hurt them more than it would help them. The only guys that make a 1 7/8" headers without a 1 3/4" option is TSP. All other manufacturers that I'm aware of sell 1 3/4" standard as they're optimal for a stock motor and most 346 combos.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like the idea of the coated stainless on the SLPs..
Old 12-13-2008, 03:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by omcar
I like the idea of the coated stainless on the SLPs..
And keep in mind that they will show what looks like surface rust sometimes. you need not get mad because they just need cleaned. I have had mine for quite some time and have not had this happen yet but some say they have.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:07 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
They're both 1 3/4". You can get 1 7/8" headers from American Racing but for most people on this site it will hurt them more than it would help them. The only guys that make a 1 7/8" headers without a 1 3/4" option is TSP. All other manufacturers that I'm aware of sell 1 3/4" standard as they're optimal for a stock motor and most 346 combos.
Thanks dude for clearing that up for me! I just checked too so this is good info!

Search this Thread