Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn downs,Enough back pressure???

Old 12-15-2008, 09:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing you need back pressure on is your mom's minivan...
Old 12-15-2008, 10:02 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 3.4camaro
Correct. It will not hurt a thing. The *** of your car may get a little dirtier than normal.
It'll burn the o2's
Old 12-15-2008, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 3.4camaro
Correct. It will not hurt a thing. The *** of your car may get a little dirtier than normal.
If the O2 sensors are too close to the open end of the collector, they will not read properly and you might actually go slower. Also if the noise reverberates off enough stuff it could make the knock sensors go a little haywire and pull some spark. Something to at least carry the exhaust gasses a little further from the O2 sensor before dumping to atmosphere as well as getting the noise a little further away from the engine (preferably something creating very little or even no backpressure) will be best...it'll keep the O2's and knock sensors happiest.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HTX
I hate when people like you bitch about loud cars. I want my car to sound like the end of the world when i hammer it.
My cars are loud...but if you're not running 9's or 8's...there's NO need to be as loud as the cars that ARE running 9's or 8's...just makes you look like a poser and makes your car look like a shitbox. Loud because of no exhaust doesn't sound the same as loud because it's a badass engine WITH an exhaust.

Last edited by Mike454SS; 12-15-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
If the O2 sensors are too close to the open end of the collector, they will not read properly and you might actually go slower.
You wont go slower because 02's arent used under WOT. They can burn out if a collector extension isnt used though.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

My cars are loud...but if you're not running 9's or 8's...there's NO need to be as loud as the cars that ARE running 9's or 8's...just makes you look like a poser and makes your car look like a shitbox. Loud because of no exhaust doesn't sound the same as loud because it's a badass engine WITH an exhaust.

Im glad to find someone that agrees with me. Im trying to quiet mine down and some want open exhaust?
Old 12-17-2008, 04:13 AM
HTX
TECH Regular

To each his own i guess. Top Fuel Dragsters might think all of us are posers. I used to think that guys that spent money on making their call look good rather than run fast were posers, but i learned that not everyone cares about going fast.

To each his own.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

running open headers is not ok... your going to roast your o2s...

xpipe with 1 chambers f t w..

you can get knock off 1 chamber race flomasters for right around 40 bucks.. sound just as good as the real thing.. and you can get an xpipe custom bent for about 200 bucks..
i have true 1 chamber race flowmasters.... also i have an ms4 cam, so mine is going to be louder than a stock internals car..

outside idle
http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=SD531024.flv
inside WOT
http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=SD531107.flv
a few outside WOT
http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=SD531024.flv
http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=SD531026.flv

also.. i saw where someone said get HEADS and a cam, to make your car louder.. if you buy heads to make your car louder, thats the biggest waste of money you will ever spend.. haha

also FWIW.. 1 chambers flow just as good as turn downs and/or a cutout or something like that... your talking 1 hp difference.. but the sound will be 10 times better, and much quieter inside the car while still be loud as ***** on the outside..
Old 12-17-2008, 06:25 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 98camZ
On my 2000 WS6 M6 i want to put turn downs on it that dump right before the rear end.
Will there be enough back pressure there?

Wut kind of bullet mufflers should i get if any?

Anything else i should be concerned of?

I have SLP LT's and SLP loud mouth 1 on it now, but its just not loud enough.
putting it there is fine, no problems
Old 12-17-2008, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have QTP longtubes, and TSP true duals with bullets dumped directly at the ground. It reverberates off of the ground and is loud as hell with the torquer V2 cam.

I have gotten compliments on it and one equipment violation ticket while driving normally so take that for what it's worth. If you want loud then a setup like mine will do it for you. I see myself going to a full exhaust in the future though as I am getting older and value my hearing.

It is funny to see kids looking out of the back window of their mom's car to see what's making the noise then have them flip out when you pass them at WOT in 3rd gear.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i also got a noise ordinance ticket while driving normal... setup is ^^^^ up there... again take that for what its worth...

and yes it is fun to see people stare and get thumbs up and ****... but that can also be had with a cutout..

Search this Thread