Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**My thoughts on the VOLANT CAI System - PICS INSIDE**

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 01:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Konstantine16
My K&N FIPK worked great for me. Did you ever consider getting that instead of the volant setup? came with smooth bellows and I was able to install it in 15 mins with no fitment problems at all.
yea... the only thing about the K&N FIPK is that it doesn't have an airbox to keep out the engine compartment heat... plus, having a WS6 I just figured the volant would be a better setup as well. If I decide I'm not happy with this... I'll probably just go ahead and get the Fast Toys lid with maybe the JAAM kit and the FTRA... that would be a pretty good ram air setup i think
Old 12-23-2008, 01:17 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm actually quite curious to see if one of these will fit... don't know why more people aren't running them...? I mean the price difference between it and the SLP bellows is phenomenal!

Old 12-23-2008, 09:35 AM
11 Second Club

Well I tried to go to their website to see what these intakes look like (can't see your pics soul, govt comp blocks some stuff), and what do you know. Their site it blocked . If I were in Phoenix I would go check it out. Atleast you got it to work...but agree with alot of other people, when you pay that kind of money for something, fitment should not be an issue.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by AznMuscle
Well I tried to go to their website to see what these intakes look like (can't see your pics soul, govt comp blocks some stuff), and what do you know. Their site it blocked . If I were in Phoenix I would go check it out. Atleast you got it to work...but agree with alot of other people, when you pay that kind of money for something, fitment should not be an issue.
you can't see my pics because they aren't up yet... (gonna go outside right now and take some )

Volants website has been acting funky lately... most links on it don't work, but if you just click on ANY random one, go to the page it sends you to, then click on the actual place you wanna go, it seems to work ok... if that made any sense lol
Old 12-23-2008, 12:12 PM
11 Second Club

Eh, you have one pic up on your first post...and its a nice little red x. I did look over at ws6store.com's website, and saw the pics there. You have the one big filter, or the twin piece? Its nice, but **** if I would pay that much for something not to fit. Thanks for the heads up on it.

Offtopic.....you guys getting hit by the storm up in Phoenix? Its windy like a **** here, almost went off the road on my way to work. Its cold, overcast, and all around shitty. Just wondering how Phoenix is right now.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Eh, you have one pic up on your first post...and its a nice little red x. I did look over at ws6store.com's website, and saw the pics there. You have the one big filter, or the twin piece? Its nice, but **** if I would pay that much for something not to fit. Thanks for the heads up on it.

Offtopic.....you guys getting hit by the storm up in Phoenix? Its windy like a **** here, almost went off the road on my way to work. Its cold, overcast, and all around shitty. Just wondering how Phoenix is right now.
Yea... went to go take some pics but the GF took the camera to work again today

but... I made a video, so that's even better

now I'm just trying to upload it onto my photobucket account, but they only host videos with a max size of 100mb... it's 450mb so I'm trying to figure out a way to compress it right now...

no wind outside here, it's pretty calm... nice day actually
Old 12-23-2008, 12:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

that sucks man. mine came with a lid so im just gonna stick with it.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
Yea... went to go take some pics but the GF took the camera to work again today

but... I made a video, so that's even better

now I'm just trying to upload it onto my photobucket account, but they only host videos with a max size of 100mb... it's 450mb so I'm trying to figure out a way to compress it right now...

no wind outside here, it's pretty calm... nice day actually
I'll check the video when I get home. Work comps really do suck. And F you for the calm weather. We had it, hell two days ago was GREAT. Like 70 degrees, no wind, nothing. Now, it just sucks, and is going to be like this all week.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:01 PM
TECH Junkie

I'll check the video when I get home. Work comps really do suck. And F you for the calm weather. We had it, hell two days ago was GREAT. Like 70 degrees, no wind, nothing. Now, it just sucks, and is going to be like this all week.
well I'm leaving tomorrow for CA... gonna spend a week over there cruising up and down the coast
Old 12-23-2008, 01:37 PM
11 Second Club

I need to drive out to Cali sometime. Maybe when I have money lol.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:52 PM
TECH Junkie

video added in 1st post... ENJOY!
Old 12-23-2008, 02:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
video added in 1st post... ENJOY!
http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...hreadid=673982
Old 12-23-2008, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had the same exact problems with mine. I had to modify the hell out of it to get it to fit properly. My friend got it for me through his shop (@ his cost, so it was really cheap), and we had to send back the 1st two because of fitment issues. So, after the 3rd one came in w/ the same issues, I said screw it, I can modify it.
Here'd what I had to do:
-cut out the piece that sits on the radiatior, and make my own bracket.
-dremel out the "y" piece so the maf could slide in.
-dremel out the hole in the box where the "y" fits into because it lined up off-center of the tb.

-*optional* I figured while I was at it, I drilled a hole for the iat and fit it into the "y" because I didnt really like the idea of it being in the open since I debaffled the hood.

No one can tell I had to modify it, so its no big deal, but I always make sure people know what I had to do when they suggest that they are looking to get one.
Overall, with all the modifications out of the way, I really like the intake, but agree the fitment is horrible, especially for the price. I would've probably been more pissed if I didn't get such a good deal on it.
You are the only other person I have heard of that has had the exact same problems as me. Every other Volant I've seen has seemed to fit w/o modifications, so I dont know what the hell is going on there. Maybe quality control has gone to ****????
Old 12-23-2008, 02:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

'right now as it sits, it really is a piece of crap!'
Old 12-23-2008, 02:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wes just has the worst luck
Old 12-23-2008, 03:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JBIRD02
I had the same exact problems with mine. I had to modify the hell out of it to get it to fit properly. My friend got it for me through his shop (@ his cost, so it was really cheap), and we had to send back the 1st two because of fitment issues. So, after the 3rd one came in w/ the same issues, I said screw it, I can modify it.
Here'd what I had to do:
-cut out the piece that sits on the radiatior, and make my own bracket.
-dremel out the "y" piece so the maf could slide in.
-dremel out the hole in the box where the "y" fits into because it lined up off-center of the tb.

-*optional* I figured while I was at it, I drilled a hole for the iat and fit it into the "y" because I didnt really like the idea of it being in the open since I debaffled the hood.

No one can tell I had to modify it, so its no big deal, but I always make sure people know what I had to do when they suggest that they are looking to get one.
Overall, with all the modifications out of the way, I really like the intake, but agree the fitment is horrible, especially for the price. I would've probably been more pissed if I didn't get such a good deal on it.
You are the only other person I have heard of that has had the exact same problems as me. Every other Volant I've seen has seemed to fit w/o modifications, so I dont know what the hell is going on there. Maybe quality control has gone to ****????
I got a Volant on my SS and I had to modify it and re-drill holes to make that ****** fit somewhat okay.

also it doesn't hole the factory radiator well AT ALL.
I'd like to see how you "-cut out the piece that sits on the radiatior, and make my own bracket.", can you post pics of your bracket? I'd like to see how yours looks like.

I'll take pics of my setup and what I did and post it here too.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:15 PM
11 Second Club

Damn, all of you guys had issues? They really need to work on that intake. That is unbelieveable for something that cost almost 3x the amount of other intakes.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Carlos01SS
I got a Volant on my SS and I had to modify it and re-drill holes to make that ****** fit somewhat okay.

also it doesn't hole the factory radiator well AT ALL.
I'd like to see how you "-cut out the piece that sits on the radiatior, and make my own bracket.", can you post pics of your bracket? I'd like to see how yours looks like.

I'll take pics of my setup and what I did and post it here too.
Yeah, no problem man. Im about to go clean the filters anyways, so I'll take a few phone pics (no camera for me ) and post up.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Definatly take some pics of that JBIRD

I'll be getting a re-tune here in the next couple of weeks... seeing as my only changes will be 36# injectors and the volant... I'll post up what the loss/gains end up being... if any changes...
Old 12-23-2008, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, as requested, here are the pics I promised.
-1st pic is of the underside. you can see the L bracket I made to fill in where I cut out that piece so it would fit over the radiatior.
-2nd pic is of the top side of the bracket. You cant really see it with the filters installed.
-3rd pic is where I dremeled the left side of the hole so that the "y" part would line up straight to the tb.
-4th pic is where I dremeled the inside of the "y" piece so that the MAF would fit.
-5th pic is the installed pic. You can see where I modified the IAT location just for piece of mind. Its not necessary.

BTW, everything fits nice and tight now (like it should have from Volant)
Attached Thumbnails **My thoughts on the VOLANT CAI System - PICS INSIDE**-volant5.jpg   **My thoughts on the VOLANT CAI System - PICS INSIDE**-volant4.jpg   **My thoughts on the VOLANT CAI System - PICS INSIDE**-volant3.jpg   **My thoughts on the VOLANT CAI System - PICS INSIDE**-volant2.jpg   **My thoughts on the VOLANT CAI System - PICS INSIDE**-volant1.jpg  

Last edited by JBIRD02; 12-23-2008 at 05:28 PM.

Quick Reply: **My thoughts on the VOLANT CAI System - PICS INSIDE**