Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a New Lid (larger)

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 10:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Toys Performance Parts
Yes. All lids currently on the market are vacuum formed which mean they are two pieces of plastic bonded together.
Great thanks for the info. I was not to sure when i heard that. Being that it is a 2 piece, does it make it weaker?
Old 12-24-2008, 10:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LSGunZ28
damnit the clear lid is only 74mm?

how much is that??

Okay, so tell me this, is the 74mm lid gonna limit my performance that much? or is it not that bad?

The SLP lid I have also has the SLP CAI under it... and K&N.... to a 85 MAF(soon the be replaced with just a straight bellows) and aa bellow to the TB (95mm PTM)... FAST 92 unported...

with this setup is the SLP lid robbing me of airflow , enough to make more power?..
Being that you have a bigger CI motor, i would get the 85mm Lid.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. All lids currently on the market are vacuum formed which mean they are two pieces of plastic bonded together.
just to clear up things that I may have wrong... but isn't the SLP one piece? I still like your guys lid better though...
Old 12-24-2008, 11:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
Great thanks for the info. I was not to sure when i heard that. Being that it is a 2 piece, does it make it weaker?
It really just depends on the type of epoxy they use... in my experience with the TSP lid (no longer made to my knowledge), the epoxy was crap... I had to re-glue it a few times... it also makes a difference as to how flush the 2 pieces are glued together for sealing sake...

keep in mind that 90% of people on here are using lids and are just fine with them... if it were me, and I was in the market for a lid, seeing many of them in person, I really like the FT's lid... I saw a buddy at a car show the other day that had one and I have it a few look overs... it's a nice piece...
Old 12-24-2008, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ditch the lid and go with a volant intake. i had one on my t/a before i did the procharger. moved alot more air over my lid but it had twin cone filters
Old 12-24-2008, 11:54 AM
11 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...cs-inside.html

Nice piece, but from this thread....seems like they have some fitment issues.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:55 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
As someone else mentioned below, as long as the epoxy that is used to joint he two pieces does a good job, there will be no problem. We haven't had a single lid come back to us yet for the epoxy coming apart. Our lids are very high quality and everyone that has purchased one has been happy with them.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:58 AM
FormerVendor

damnit the clear lid is only 74mm?

how much is that??

Okay, so tell me this, is the 74mm lid gonna limit my performance that much? or is it not that bad?

The SLP lid I have also has the SLP CAI under it... and K&N.... to a 85 MAF(soon the be replaced with just a straight bellows) and aa bellow to the TB (95mm PTM)... FAST 92 unported...

with this setup is the SLP lid robbing me of airflow , enough to make more power?..

Considering you are well above the 400 RWHP mark, it would be a good time to upgrade to the 85mm Lid and MAF.

The clear lid or the Fast Toys 85mm lid are the same price at 129.99

We also have a reducer for our 85mm lid so that people can use the stock MAF and then as their power levels increaes, they can remove the reducer and upgrade to the 85mm MAF or go speed density without having to buy another lid.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:29 AM
11 Second Club

Considering you are well above the 400 RWHP mark, it would be a good time to upgrade to the 85mm Lid and MAF.

The clear lid or the Fast Toys 85mm lid are the same price at 129.99

We also have a reducer for our 85mm lid so that people can use the stock MAF and then as their power levels increaes, they can remove the reducer and upgrade to the 85mm MAF or go speed density without having to buy another lid.
Im gonna go with a lid, straight bellows or something to the TB...

I guess I should use a 85mm lid then, shouldnt I? Well now tell me this, how much power gain, should I realistically see, and will I lose ANY(if at all) low end power?? even at idle??

Lastly, would this affect my current tune one bit? (im tuning it on monday)

if you dont know the answers, then just dont answer, Id rather have honest, facts vs bs trying to make me feel better..

thanks.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

I guess I should use a 85mm lid then, shouldnt I? Well now tell me this, how much power gain, should I realistically see, and will I lose ANY(if at all) low end power?? even at idle??

if you dont know the answers, then just dont answer, Id rather have honest, facts vs bs trying to make me feel better..

thanks.
By going to a larger lid your tune will not be affected. the computer will compensate to its extent when it is getting more air or fuel. You should pick up some HP, how much i have no idea. You will not lose any hp as you have a bigger CI motor and that thing needs to breathe
Old 12-27-2008, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AznMuscle
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...cs-inside.html

Nice piece, but from this thread....seems like they have some fitment issues.
i never had a problem with mine
Old 12-27-2008, 02:27 PM
FormerVendor

thanks.
We can't give you an exact HP gain but I can tell the the 1/4 mile improvements people have seen using our lid and 85mm MAF

Bolt on and cam only cars : .7-.9 MPH

HC Cars: 1.0 - 1.2 MPH

You shouldn't lose any power or affect your tune. The computer is still metering air through the MAF. Of course if you switch to the 85mm MAF, you will need a tune on the MAF table to work properly.

We've never tested the lid for HP improvements using the reducer but since you would be limited by the same MAF size, you likely would not see significant power improvements over another aftermarket lid.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:27 PM
11 Second Club

We can't give you an exact HP gain but I can tell the the 1/4 mile improvements people have seen using our lid and 85mm MAF

Bolt on and cam only cars : .7-.9 MPH

HC Cars: 1.0 - 1.2 MPH

You shouldn't lose any power or affect your tune. The computer is still metering air through the MAF. Of course if you switch to the 85mm MAF, you will need a tune on the MAF table to work properly.

We've never tested the lid for HP improvements using the reducer but since you would be limited by the same MAF size, you likely would not see significant power improvements over another aftermarket lid.

But as I mentioned previously, Im ditching my MAF, my MAF isnt even plugged in now... its just on.. Im using a SD tune...
Old 12-27-2008, 05:06 PM
FormerVendor

But as I mentioned previously, Im ditching my MAF, my MAF isnt even plugged in now... its just on.. Im using a SD tune...
You should see an even larger improvement with SD since the MAF would no longer be a limitting factor. You could run a straight 4" hose from the lid to TB
Old 12-28-2008, 09:52 PM
11 Second Club

okay, Ill do this in the near future, when I also may get 1 7/8 headers
Old 02-02-2009, 09:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

My Fasttoys 85mm lid has been sitting in the box because I didn't realize I needed the reducer to use the stock MAF. I've been running OLSD for years, just never took the stock MAF out. So I don't know if I'll ever entertain putting a MAF tune back in it

1) What kind of 4" hose are people using to mate the 85mm lid direct to a 90/92mm throttle body?
2) Same type of hose needed to go from a 85mm MAF to the 90/92mm TB?
3) The SLP 85mm MAF is supposed to be OEM compatible, does that mean that in theory you can use the stock MAF table with it?
Old 02-02-2009, 05:42 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by JimMueller
My Fasttoys 85mm lid has been sitting in the box because I didn't realize I needed the reducer to use the stock MAF. I've been running OLSD for years, just never took the stock MAF out. So I don't know if I'll ever entertain putting a MAF tune back in it

1) What kind of 4" hose are people using to mate the 85mm lid direct to a 90/92mm throttle body?
2) Same type of hose needed to go from a 85mm MAF to the 90/92mm TB?
3) The SLP 85mm MAF is supposed to be OEM compatible, does that mean that in theory you can use the stock MAF table with it?

1. We recommend the not reinforced (no metal refinforced inserts) soft silicone 4" hose. The lack of the reinforcements will allow the hose to be stretched a bit.

2. It's an oddball size. Not sure what suppliers people have found for that.

3. It "works" but is not optimal. It's really a short to shift the MAF table by the use of a resistor. You should get a proper tune to realize the best and safest results.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:27 PM
TECH Resident

alot of people use 4" fernco from lowes/homedepot since its cheap as dirt. then there is intakehoses.com . lots of options there
Old 02-03-2009, 02:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 95 Likes on 75 Posts

I will be testing these theories, experiences out tomorrow. as i am installing my FAST 90/90, 85mm MAF(Delphi), FT 85mm lid, and a nice re-tune... Should compliment my G5X3, LS6 heads nicely.. I'll post up results tomorrow..
Old 02-28-2009, 10:34 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Anybody using the Fast Toys lid with a 100mm MAF and 95mm TB?