Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help: Nasty clunk/banging noise while stopping/turning

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 01:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help: Nasty clunk/banging noise while stopping/turning

Hey all,
So all of a sudden this past week, my car starts giving me a nasty sounding, clunking noise as I come to a halt. At first, I only noticed it when applying light pressure to the brakes, coming to a slow stop. The sound occurs as if something is hitting/pulsing my calipers/brake system. The sound is also a contact of some sort, as I can feel a pulsing in the pedals/steering wheel when the it makes the sound. That in mind, I thought it MUST be brake related/isolated. However, today, while driving, I thought I heard it again, while NOT applying the brakes, simply on a left hand turn. I turned down my music, and sure enough, the clunk was there, though not as evident and obvious as when I brake. My car feels like complete ****. I am very confident that it's suspension/brake related. Though, my car savvy is less than good. Experts, I'm listening.

Cheers
Old 01-03-2009, 02:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got two theories... both revolve around your rotors...

1. rotors are warped... which would explain the "pulsing" but not the clunking...

2. Had a buddy once, actually have his rotors crack and break apart... his truck was clunking pretty badly. but it was still driveable... go figure...

take a look at your rotors for any signs of cracks etc...

at first look at this post I figured tranny mount... but then you mentioned brakes so...
Old 01-03-2009, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

possibly could be the rear diff taking a dump on you

Quick Reply: Help: Nasty clunk/banging noise while stopping/turning