Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

speed density help

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 07:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speed density help

what im dealing with is a 2000 camaro the car is getting a 9 inch rear, th400 trans., healthy shot of spray, cam, already has a forged bottom end and i am wanting to know the benifets over the mass air with a speed density setup on it? also how hard is tuning i have friends that are very familer with speed density but have never messed with hp tuners so any and all help will greatly be appreciated.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Speed density is easier to tune and easier to run a huge cam IMO. I did it on my cam and bolt-ons T/A. I also like that you can get rid of the MAF and run straight 4" pipe from your air lid straight to your 90 or 92mm TB. I would only go speed density if you have a wideband O2 to do the tuning with. It simply locks in your timing/fuel based on whatever VE cell you're in. If the weather (temperature) changes drastically then it will throw off your AFR a little bit (cold air has more oxygen in it than hot air). As a result it's probably a good idea to have 2 SD tunes (one for the summer and one for the winter) that way your AFR is more consistent throughout the year.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Red99TA
Speed density is easier to tune and easier to run a huge cam IMO. I did it on my cam and bolt-ons T/A. I also like that you can get rid of the MAF and run straight 4" pipe from your air lid straight to your 90 or 92mm TB. I would only go speed density if you have a wideband O2 to do the tuning with. It simply locks in your timing/fuel based on whatever VE cell you're in. If the weather (temperature) changes drastically then it will throw off your AFR a little bit (cold air has more oxygen in it than hot air). As a result it's probably a good idea to have 2 SD tunes (one for the summer and one for the winter) that way your AFR is more consistent throughout the year.
thanks yeah before we ever even load a car on the trailor we make a test shot to check the af but it will deff have a wideband thanks for the info keep it coming