Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: TD's or Y pipe?
true duals
76.67%
Y pipe and catback, possibly a cutout
23.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

True Duals vs y pipe setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 01-16-2009, 07:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bandit1
Wow ignorance is bliss hahahaha I will take that bet I will go to the dyno with you if ya likem you bring the exact Y thing you pictured. We will do a back to back against my true 3 in duals with Dr gas X I guarentee I will not only make 15-20 more rwhp with my setup but it will sound a 1000 times better! I have already done a back to back with a nice Y-pipe with a 4 in outlet and used a custom collector in the Y-pipe.
Arguing on the net is foolish but not as foolish as what you just said. 15-20HP WHAT THA? LOL
Old 01-16-2009, 07:52 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Spiers
I have true duals and an x-pipe with no mufflers ran to the rear bumper. If you have it ran to the back its really not loud at all. Mine still seems quiet inside but I know everyone outside thinks different Have not had any trouble with cops yet...
Jeez, your crazy.. I have td with sweet thunders. I Just passed two cops in town, them in right lane, me in left. I was sure I was gonna get pulled over, especially when we pulled up to the light and my 650 lift ms4 is going crazy shaking the whole car, along with tinted windows. They were both right behind me on right.

I guess they didn't feel like getting out in the cold?
Old 01-16-2009, 08:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Full-Force
Arguing on the net is foolish but not as foolish as what you just said. 15-20HP WHAT THA? LOL
Argue?? Im not arguing, Im telling "real" world results, my car with no other change than the true duals made 18 more rwhp than with the Y-pipe I had on there, the dynos took place 3 days apart. An it was a nice Y-pipe with flowmaster collector and 4 in outlet.

Foolish huh well maybe your just not making enough power yet, with a 346 maybe its not needed an wont make as much of a gain, but as you add cubic inches the engine needs more exhaust flow than a single Y-pipe can provide. Hence Y adding a cutout usually gets a nice gain on a bigger motor.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Im not gonna throw him in the fire but a well known guy on here with a 5 sec 1/8 mile / 8 sec 1/4 mi car Im sure is making more power than you. He is running basicly the exact setup I attached. He is making plenty of power to where a bottleneck would start to show.

Get over yourself already. You have already went over the top with the 15-20hp hype. Seriously, if you only knew how rediculous that is.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Oh, just caught the part about the cutout. Hence the gain with cutout. That is almost always on a car with a 3" catback, as in single 3" exhaust.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Full-Force
Im not gonna throw him in the fire but a well known guy on here with a 5 sec 1/8 mile / 8 sec 1/4 mi car Im sure is making more power than you. He is running basicly the exact setup I attached. He is making plenty of power to where a bottleneck would start to show.

Get over yourself already. You have already went over the top with the 15-20hp hype. Seriously, if you only knew how rediculous that is.
Whats "rIdiculous" is your need to feel justified by your inept need too try and say that a single is better or higher flowing than a true dual. Was there something wrong with my Y-pipe setup.............maybe. But FACTS are facts I have a back to back dyno with no other change than too a true dual setup and gained 15 rwhp over the EXACT same setup with the y-pipe setup. Sorry I thought it was 18 but it was 15 went from 514 rwhp too 529 and gained torque throughout as well, an you can see my afrs were pretty darn close as well
Attached Thumbnails True Duals vs y pipe setup-dyno11-06-08-2.jpg  
Old 01-16-2009, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bandit1
Whats "rIdiculous" is your need to feel justified by your inept need too try and say that a single is better or higher flowing than a true dual. Was there something wrong with my Y-pipe setup.............maybe. But FACTS are facts I have a back to back dyno with no other change than too a true dual setup and gained 15 rwhp over the EXACT same setup with the y-pipe setup. Sorry I thought it was 18 but it was 15 went from 514 rwhp too 529 and gained torque throughout as well, an you can see my afrs were pretty darn close as well
Ok well first your kind of being a dick man Second when you build a y pipe correctly you will only lose about 1 hp over open headers. If Dr. Gas is X pipe picked up 15hp over a proven VERY efficent setup. Guess what. A LOT of us would use it but... This Y is the setup that is cost effective very efficent and light.

And to pick up 15 by any exhaust setup your y pipe must have been garbage. Period.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:36 PM
11 Second Club

Well if I came off as a "dick" then my bad, I was a little wasted getting an early start to the weekend . But still the point is a true 3 in mandrel bent exhaust will flow more than any Y-pipe sorry this is simple physics. Add an X-pipe a quality x-pipe and it will help scavange more as well. My Y setup was not garbage it was simply a dual 3 in Y into a 3.5 flowmaster merge and out a magnaflow 4in muffler dumped. Its acually harder to screw up making that setup than it is to make it right lol. But there again I am not running a 346 I have a 427 so maybe my engine being that has more cubes wanted more flow. But the dyno isnt wrong it was done within a few days so I have to go with what I have seen with my own eyes. Some will gain from true duals some wont is all I guess I can say. Now that I added a bigger cam and upped the CR an making almost 570 rwhp NA I think the dual system is helping even more but again JMHO. But I do have to say a dual system sounds ALOT better than a Y-pipe setup so another bonas
Old 01-17-2009, 03:25 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Easy on the kiddies Bandit! Why don't you just go to dual cutouts after the headers like me and everyone will be happy?! http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/h...t=100_0344.flv
Old 01-17-2009, 03:40 PM
11 Second Club

Oh I like the sound of dual cutouts sweet music Travor
Old 01-17-2009, 03:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

to all the people saying TD is too loud...find a different muffler

I know space is tight for you guys but there has to be something, my car is a good bit quieter than my friends y pipe lt1 with a flowmaster (think its the 50 series...whatever comes on the american thunder package)
Old 01-17-2009, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

TD's are loud because they are dumped under the vehicle. If you run them all the way back to the rear bumper they are not going to be that much louder, if at all, than a y-pipe/catback.

Like I said, I have NO mufflers/cats on mine, just an x-pipe. And it's not very loud inside the vehicle.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:23 PM
11 Second Club

I have no cats and mine run over the axle an out magnaflow mufflers an its not real loud but it is noticable
Old 01-17-2009, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've had both style setups on my car. MAC mids for headers, no cats. As far as Y pipe setups go, I couldn't stand any of them. Even with a Hooker Aerochamber, it was still a bit raspy, especially around that 2300 range...that annoying metallic yawning cat noise

The worst by far was a cutout in the I pipe. It sounded horrible. At idle it was somewhat tolerable, but even then you could still hear some of the rasp. Cruising around was awful sounding, and around 2300 it was undescribably annoying. I tried to keep the cutout closed as much as possible

I then saw the light and switched to H-pipe true duals. My first setup was with Sweet Thunders. They were very loud, sounded like the Y pipe cutout without the rasp. It was a much cleaner sound, but way too loud for me

I then went through Spiral Flows, Flowmaster Single Chambers, and Flowtech Raptors. The Raptors are actually my favorite setup. They are the quietest, have the deepest idle, quiet on the highway (note that I sit at 3k on the highway), and were the cheapest. I'll be trying XR-1's with long tubes next

Bottom line for me: I'd take the worst true duals over the best Y-pipe every single day of the week, and for one reason only. No high pitch yawning cat noise. I don't know if my duals produce more power or not, but I've heard they will give better power over the entire curve, not just peak numbers. They could make the same exact power for all I care, my reason for switching was sound quality

Last edited by Strahley; 01-17-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Strahley
Bottom line for me: I'd take the worst true duals over the best Y-pipe every single day of the week, and for one reason only. No high pitch yawning cat noise.
That's awesome and I agree. On one point, how the heck are you guys getting that the Y pipe catback setup cheaper than duals?
Old 01-17-2009, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SidewayzOZ
On one point, how the heck are you guys getting that the Y pipe catback setup cheaper than duals?
Yeah no kidding, I made my duals very cheap. The Raptors were about $20 each, the pipes were about $20, $20 small H-pipe, and $8 turndowns. $10 for clamps. Did the labor myself. Roughly $100 installed, and it dumps on the passenger side right at the rear axle. No annoying drone, and it's fairly quiet inside the car
Old 01-17-2009, 10:01 PM
TECH Regular

Freeflowing huh? Why not run a separate pipe for each exhaust port. Hotwheels style! Booyah!

ooo myyy gooowwwd! thoughs duals are soooooooooooo yesterday!
Old 01-17-2009, 11:46 PM
On The Tree

i found this while i was reading the mod guide i belive it was posted by jtp...... hopefully it helps

"Virtually all V-8 exhaust systems can be refined by the addition of a balance or X-pipe. These have two potential attributes: increased power and reduced noise. Extensive dyno testing on both of these factors has indicated balance and X-pipes are 100 percent successful at reducing noise. The reductions amount to a minimum of 1 dB to a maximum of 3 dB with 2 dB being common. As far as power is concerned, things are a little less certain. With engines between about 325 to 550 hp, experience indicates that in about 60 percent of the cases (mostly with balance pipes), the engine can deliver as much as 12 additional hp, with 5-8 being the most common. The other remaining 40 percent tested showed virtually no change in output either up or down. Based on such results, we can conclude that a balance or X-pipe is always a positive asset and never a negative."

but either way power gain or not this up coming weekend i am putting on a ls6 intake p n p tb and a true dual exhaust... i just want a loud sound with no rasp so i am going with a x pipe system... but hey i can count on it helping a little bit right.....

O ya what do people think of no muffler x pipe system how does that sound,,,,
Old 01-17-2009, 11:51 PM
10 Second Club

One advantage to true duals, with a decent sized cam, Any drive thru you go thru you will have a few people coming to the window asking about your bad *** car. lol. I just had a girl that was just in love with the car. She told me. "I love this car, It's so nice I don't want to touch it." Then she went on to say I should be really happy to be able to have it.

I had maybe 4 more cops behind me today and for some reason they didn't bite?

Quick Reply: True Duals vs y pipe setup