Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: TD's or Y pipe?
true duals
76.67%
Y pipe and catback, possibly a cutout
23.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

True Duals vs y pipe setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Frostbitten09
O ya what do people think of no muffler x pipe system how does that sound,,,,
Well it sounds pretty SWEET on my LT1 but Im not sure how it will sound on your tin can ls1

Very racey or nascarish I guess you could say.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sicko
Yes. I think so. I personally don't care for the dumped look nor care for the drone. IMO I don't think TDs sound any better then a nice y pipe setup.
I agree with this.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by allblacksrt4
wow very miss informed, a y pipe set up will not out perform a dual set up. The more power you make the bigger diffreence it is. I have pacesetter and a tsp kit and it's not that loud at all. My friend has a slp loud mouth exhaust and his is way louder.
I am not misinformed at all.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...-500-rwhp.html

I am just doing what is known to work well. Maybe you are the one who is a bit misinformed.

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
I agree with this.
As do I.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by titter
I am not misinformed at all.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...-500-rwhp.html

I am just doing what is known to work well. Maybe you are the one who is a bit misinformed.
I don't get it. Did that car pickup power by switching exhausts from duals to a Y? From what I could tell by reading they just changed from a Kooks Y to a custom 4" LG Y.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SidewayzOZ
I don't get it. Did that car pickup power by switching exhausts from duals to a Y? From what I could tell by reading they just changed from a Kooks Y to a custom 4" LG Y.
He only lost 1rwhp from open headers with 20" extensions to the y-pipe setup. There is also no rasp like most y's have, and no drone like almost every td setup has.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:41 PM

true duals with dynomax bullets
Old 01-20-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SidewayzOZ
Justin, your car is begging for a setup like this, especially with your new mods. If you like the 1 chamber sound you will simply need to substitute a 4" 1 chamber for the 4" bullet.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Y pipe with cutout dumdumdum
Old 01-21-2009, 07:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Full-Force
Justin, your car is begging for a setup like this, especially with your new mods. If you like the 1 chamber sound you will simply need to substitute a 4" 1 chamber for the 4" bullet.
Yeah, I've heard a couple ppl say the exhaust is probably holding it back at this point. Maybe at some point I can get the car up to you and we can redo it (for the 15th time ) I really like how the mufflex sounds with a flowmaster, so I think I would like the setup you're talking about with a single chamber. Maybe dump it at the back like the mufflex but add a cutout somewhere up front.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:14 PM
TECH Junkie

With 4" pipe you wont need a cutout. If you want to keep it dumped at the axle that would be the cleanest and the lightest. I would do that first and if its too loud, then run it out back.

If push comes to shove I could build it and ship it to you.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I voted tru duals but if you put X pipe in there is it still considered tru duals?
Old 01-26-2009, 02:47 PM
TECH Regular

y pipe with Electric cutout!
Old 01-26-2009, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't voted, due to the fact that I have never heard a True Dual System in person. I'd have to say, though, that each individual vehicle will sound a little different from another with the same setup. So until you put the system on YOUR car, you really won't know what it sounds like. I might also add that I am not a fan of dumps. Not the sound, but the looks. It's like you're running around with unfinished exhaust. Please spend some time to find tips you like and extend your pipes to the back of the car.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by jmilz28
Lots of ways to skin this cat, fewer on our cars due to clearance, etc. For comparison, let me give you rough cross sectional area, which indicates maximum flow:
single 3" - 7 square inches
single 3.5" - 9.62 sq in
dual 2.5" - 9.8 sq in
single 4" - 12.5 sq in
dual 3" - 14.1 sq in

Obviously, you add Xs, Hs, and merges from one to the other, that complicates things BUT - going from single 3" y pipe to true 2.5" duals give you theoretically about 40% more flow. It may not be super noticeable below 350whp but it is measurable below that and moreso as power increases.

Another note, NO mod we do increases power by a fixed number, it increases by % and multiplies out to HP. Even then, it's not linear - but you should get the idea.

The nice pic of the y pipe above (4 inch with flow merge) is a nice Y but damn near dumps, not a full system by most street standards. Y setups fit closer to stock, are lighter, and cheaper since there are fewer parts. Dual setups are heavier, more expensive, have more potential clearance issues, but sound better and make more power.

Short version - properly done full length duals will always outperform proper full length y pipe and cat back setups. It's hard to do apples to apples since there are SO many variables on these systems and art plays a big role but the math does not lie regarding true potential. Pick what fits your needs best, usually it's budget first for most of us.
Your answers are here, people.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmilz28
Your answers are here, people.
not really....

Flow isnt really the issue. Its proper scavenging. A Y pipe is the best inductor hence when properly setup makes an excellent system. And when is dumps not a street system i run it... and so do... well hundreds of other cars...

Most people dont run duals out the back... hence they are lighter than a catback Y setup. Their not more expensive IF you are going to run a catback. They sound better than Crappy Y's because of the rasp associated with a bad merge. The Y pipe pictured does NOT suffer from that. My setup IS the one pictured and it sounds just like dual bullets.. Except mines a little deeper.

So.... Uhhh... What did you answer?
Old 01-27-2009, 02:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went from a Borla and ORY to a 2.5" h pipe with dynomax bullets and they dont even come close to comparing, the borla was raspy as hell and the duals.....
Old 01-27-2009, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

i just had a custom cat back made up with a 3" cut out and 3" IN/OUT bullet, and it has NO rasp what so ever and it is probably the deepest sounding f body i have heard but i was surprised through the bullet muffler even the cut out i have no rasp what so ever and it is INCREDIBLY DEEP TONE and pretty loud too. I will post a video tomorrow and pics
Old 01-27-2009, 05:20 PM
Staging Lane

for sound true duals... love them but annoying in long run
for daily driving y... hehe
Old 01-27-2009, 06:26 PM
TECH Junkie

I could blindfold any of you and let you listen to my car with 3" duals with bullets dumped and then listen to the system that i posted up and the only way you would know which is which would be a lucky guess. The sound is no different at all.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by w3s1c0a5t
not really....

Flow isnt really the issue. Its proper scavenging. A Y pipe is the best inductor hence when properly setup makes an excellent system. And when is dumps not a street system i run it... and so do... well hundreds of other cars...

Most people dont run duals out the back... hence they are lighter than a catback Y setup. Their not more expensive IF you are going to run a catback. They sound better than Crappy Y's because of the rasp associated with a bad merge. The Y pipe pictured does NOT suffer from that. My setup IS the one pictured and it sounds just like dual bullets.. Except mines a little deeper.

So.... Uhhh... What did you answer?
I agree, except for the fact of people who had SLP dual-duals on their cars when they bought them, or any other good catback. Then the price would be very close. I agree with everything else said.

Quick Reply: True Duals vs y pipe setup