Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plug choice and gap question HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 09:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by speedfreak2685
Yes it does, thank you! I called Texas Speed today and talked to Mark and he recomended a tr55 at a .050 gap.

Is Mark tuning your car??? Mark gave you a boiler plate answer; meaning, standard, run of the Mill. Your tuner will have to pull timing @ higher RPMS w/ an .050" gap. Max gap regardless of TR5 or 6 should be near .044".
Old 01-20-2009, 05:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Have posted in this thread to note information based on my experiences w/ plugs related to tuning. It should be mentioned that I no longer use TR5's or TR6's. I use WeaponX plugs. I really don't want speedfreak's thread to turn into a debate on "spark is spark."
Will say that the decision was based on a combination of listening to theories on spark & then trying different plugs, gaps,...etc.. So, the change evolved from the following best performers:

-copper core plug
-copper core plug w/ drilled ground strap & dimpled electrode
-WeaponX

Could run 1 degree more timing by drilling ground strap & dimpling electrode or substituting dimpled electrod for a v-grooved plug, approx 1.5 MPG improvement.

Could run an additional 2 degrees, (3) total from standard copper core plug, w/ easier idle tuning, part throttle power, & 3-4 MPG when changing from the drilled ground strap & dimpled electrode to WeaponX plug.

As stated, I have read all of the "the changing of plugs, new from old is what yielded the improvement," "spark is spark," & "calculations show," comments. I'm an old guy, not a kid, have read theory after theory as to why what I have experienced isn't correct. All I can say is that the decision is based on personal gains acheived by making the change even after reading otherwise. That's good enough for me.

Anyway, in this thread have tried to answer your question related to TR5 & 6 NGK plugs.
I remain of the opinion that a .044" gap is the max for you regardless of 5 or 6.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1-450
Have posted in this thread to note information based on my experiences w/ plugs related to tuning. It should be mentioned that I no longer use TR5's or TR6's. I use WeaponX plugs. I really don't want speedfreak's thread to turn into a debate on "spark is spark."
Will say that the decision was based on a combination of listening to theories on spark & then trying different plugs, gaps,...etc.. So, the change evolved from the following best performers:

-copper core plug
-copper core plug w/ drilled ground strap & dimpled electrode
-WeaponX

Could run 1 degree more timing by drilling ground strap & dimpling electrode or substituting dimpled electrod for a v-grooved plug, approx 1.5 MPG improvement.

Could run an additional 2 degrees, (3) total from standard copper core plug, w/ easier idle tuning, part throttle power, & 3-4 MPG when changing from the drilled ground strap & dimpled electrode to WeaponX plug.

As stated, I have read all of the "the changing of plugs, new from old is what yielded the improvement," "spark is spark," & "calculations show," comments. I'm an old guy, not a kid, have read theory after theory as to why what I have experienced isn't correct. All I can say is that the decision is based on personal gains acheived by making the change even after reading otherwise. That's good enough for me.

Anyway, in this thread have tried to answer your question related to TR5 & 6 NGK plugs.
I remain of the opinion that a .044" gap is the max for you regardless of 5 or 6.

Thanks for all your input and help man! I really appreciate it. After what you said I think I am going to go with the tr6 gaped at .035. After all, like you said my tuner did recomend it for a reason. I will be sure to get you the graph so you can check it out. Im planing on droping the car off this weekend so we will see what happens. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Spark plug choice and gap question HELP!