Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backpressure argument with brother

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 03:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backpressure argument with brother

Ok so me and my brother have been haveing a little dispute regarding backpressure. He insists that " a certain amount of backpressure is needed to create a vacuum to suck out exhaust, you need back pressure to a certain extent cus it effects the intake,the faster you remove exhaust gasses the faster the intake sucks air." On the other hand im saying that you need good flowing headers(Not hugeee ones) but no back pressure is needed ,the more exhaust out is better

what do you think?
Old 02-15-2009, 03:45 PM
12 Second Club

Its a myth that you need backpressure!
Old 02-15-2009, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard alot of people preaching the backpressure sermon, but in aviation school in piston engine shop, the ideal exhaust system to have is one that pulls a vacuum in the cylinder which in turn would completely scavenge the cylinder of all the gasses and whatever else is in there..
Old 02-15-2009, 03:59 PM
TECH Regular

Backpressure shifts the torque curve downwards and reduces peak HP. depending on what you're doing, this may or may not be desirable.

For instance, on my motorcycle, I want some back pressure so that low-RPM cruising doesn't suck, and since a peak HP build has a very very narrow powerband and I want mid-range power instead. On the car, you want a lot less - I'm looking for peak power more, since I have more to work with.

It all depends on what the goal is.

edit: and yes, it can be used to create a scavenging effect, I believe - I'm most familiar with it from the MC world where we don't have to worry about that, as my pipes are 1 per cylinder
Old 02-16-2009, 01:29 AM
TECH Regular

Keep the opinions rolling guys..
Old 02-16-2009, 05:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Lopoetve
Backpressure shifts the torque curve downwards and reduces peak HP. depending on what you're doing, this may or may not be desirable.

For instance, on my motorcycle, I want some back pressure so that low-RPM cruising doesn't suck, and since a peak HP build has a very very narrow powerband and I want mid-range power instead. On the car, you want a lot less - I'm looking for peak power more, since I have more to work with.

It all depends on what the goal is.

edit: and yes, it can be used to create a scavenging effect, I believe - I'm most familiar with it from the MC world where we don't have to worry about that, as my pipes are 1 per cylinder
i agree 100% w this guy......
Old 02-16-2009, 09:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

An engine is an air pump. More air in and out = more power, simple. Back pressure is bad..... say it over and over......