Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purdy Headers (Kooks)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice. I plan on going with kooks as well once i get started on my 383 project!
Old 02-16-2009, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

looks great......
Old 02-17-2009, 11:07 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Black02SLPSS
Meent, out of curiosity what kind of torque arm is that? Also did you notice anything different after you installed your carbon fiber driveshaft? IE less vibrations or anything of that nature.. Oh and by the way the headers look awesome, im thinking about getting some 1 7/8 ARH's in the very near future, because like you im gonna build a big cube motor down the line and am building the foundation for it.
The torque arm is an LG Motorsports piece (I'm not sure they make them anymore), but it isn't on the car anymore. It wouldn't fit with the Strange 12-bolt, so I went to a full length adjustable arm from UMI. The LGM torque arm just occupies a corner of my garage now

As for the driveshaft, I've never really had driveline vibrations due to a driveshaft, so I can't say I noticed an improvement. The CF driveshaft was more for a wow factor and the overall strength - 3.75" in diameter and 1350 joints front and rear - it is completely overkill for what I do, but I like it, and that shaft even with those components only weighs as much as the stock 3" aluminum shaft with smaller u-joints and yoke it replaced.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:09 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by BerryWS6
where did you get the "tube" where the MAF used to be

The tube is something I made from 4" aluminum pipe and two silicone couplers from High Temp Silicone (a quick Google should net you something). Now if only my throttle body didn't neck down so damn much - a FAST intake of some sort is next on the mod list.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh and one other thing, do you have a guesstimate of how much power you might lose down low? Personally i dont think a 346 would lose that much since the primaries are only .125" bigger than a 1 3/4" primary. But we will hafta see.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:45 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

No guesses from my end on how much will be lost/not lost down low - I don't plan on doing a before/after dyno (which would only show WOT gains/losses anyway), but I'll know about how much fuel needed to be added or taken away and in what areas (MAP vs. RPM) to keep my tune in check.

I do expect it to feel a little soggy down low, but people swore up and down it would feel soggy on the bottom end when I went to 1-3/4" headers in the first place, and even moreso when I "lost" my catalytic convertors, and I never really experienced that. I put little stock in internet myths, and a part of this is so I can learn what happens myself - I'm learning as I go.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:20 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

those headers look sexy, let us know how the install goes. I don't know for sure if I'll get Kooks LTs (so many options these days) but I for sure am getting that Jet Hot coating! Mind posting how much you paid for the coating?
Old 02-18-2009, 07:19 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

It was through Maryland Speed - I think it was ~$140 or so. They have the option listed on their website.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

Don't expect to lose anything at all anywhere with the bigger tubes, after the tune. These motors love air and they're pretty receptive to mods, as you well know. I picked up 1-2 hp and tq and that was while moving to 17x11 aftermarket ZR1 wheels, which I figure cost me 5-8hp and tq.

I LOVE your exhaust, are the tubes 2.5"? I also think your wheels may be the best looking setup for these cars, very clean.

I'll post my graphs if you're interested, since we have the same size and similar quality headers.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:24 AM
On The Tree

PM me a price for your old headers shipped to 85747.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
... I'll see if the underhood temps are a little lower as a nice added benefit.
I am a believer in the ability of uncoated stainless keeping engine bay temps down over uncoated mild steel. You don't ever see any comparisons between uncoated and uncoated stainless. Do you plan on using a temp gun?
Old 02-18-2009, 12:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Default Thanks

Meentss02 Thank you very much for your kind words about our product. Maryland Speed is a great and very reputable dealer for our product. If we can assist you in anyway just let me know. If you are doing the install over a weekend Pm me and I will give you my cell phone number because we are not in the office on Saturdays or Sundays. We think those days should be reserved for family and racing. But if you need us i will make the time to assist you in anyway shape or form.Again thank you from the whole Kooks Crew.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:24 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by GeorgeR@kooks
Meentss02 Thank you very much for your kind words about our product. Maryland Speed is a great and very reputable dealer for our product. If we can assist you in anyway just let me know. If you are doing the install over a weekend Pm me and I will give you my cell phone number because we are not in the office on Saturdays or Sundays. We think those days should be reserved for family and racing. But if you need us i will make the time to assist you in anyway shape or form.Again thank you from the whole Kooks Crew.
Thank you, George, for a fantastic product. The quality and customer service Kooks offers is the reason why I went with Kooks in the first place, and why I went with them again on this upgrade (at least I hope it's an upgrade ). As long as the install goes as well as it did for the 1-3/4" version, I shouldn't have a problem, but thanks for the offer. If I do run into an issue, though, I'll be sure to get in touch with you.

Originally Posted by ssgunny
I am a believer in the ability of uncoated stainless keeping engine bay temps down over uncoated mild steel. You don't ever see any comparisons between uncoated and uncoated stainless. Do you plan on using a temp gun?
I don't personally own a temp gun, but I've had access to one in the past. Maybe this would be a good test/reason to have one.

Originally Posted by jasycz28
PM me a price for your old headers shipped to 85747.
I'm not quite ready to sell them yet - I'll get around to that once I get the ones pictured installed. Sometimes that takes a while with me (I work SLOW).

Originally Posted by jmilz28
I LOVE your exhaust, are the tubes 2.5"? I also think your wheels may be the best looking setup for these cars, very clean.
The pipes coming directly off the headers are 3", and stay 3" into the x-pipe...after the x-crossover, it necks down the 2.5" and stays that way all the way to the tips. Speed Inc. fabbed that up for me nearly 4 years ago at this point - all mandrel bends and TIG welded. It is also very easy to drop the middle section for clutch/transmission swaps.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i put KOOKS coated hdr and y on mine last year, the coating really helps out alot, so far i can cruise around w/ac on lowest setting and be kool. i have to wipe the pipes w/wd40 ocassionaly, road grime sticks to the top of the ceramic
Attached Thumbnails Purdy Headers (Kooks)-10-30-08_1647.jpg   Purdy Headers (Kooks)-10-30-08_1648.jpg   Purdy Headers (Kooks)-10-31-08_1627.jpg   Purdy Headers (Kooks)-10-22-08_0937.jpg   Purdy Headers (Kooks)-10-21-08_1547.jpg  

Old 06-06-2009, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is exactly how I do things. None of my friends do though. They just dig into the motor first.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:01 AM
TECH Addict

Congrats on the new headers!

I want to see the after results. It will help me make a decision on the size when the time comes.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Those look so pretty! Stainless? I plan on getting a set and then true duals made. I was told that this was the better route to go with. (Headers-TD's)
Old 06-08-2009, 09:38 AM
FormerVendor

Don't expect to lose power ANYWHERE... gains may be very minimal down low, but they always pick up on my dyno!
Old 06-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by Frost
Don't expect to lose power ANYWHERE... gains may be very minimal down low, but they always pick up on my dyno!
From what I can tell, that is correct, although I didn't do a before/after dyno comparo. They've been working very well for me since the install a couple months ago.

Quick Reply: Purdy Headers (Kooks)