Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What exhaust for cali emissions

Old 02-18-2009, 11:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What exhaust for cali emissions

Hey guys.

I am in the navy and will probably be living in California. I want to do a full exhaust on my car.

I want to run headers, but I was told LT's are illegal there. So I would have to run mid-length correct?

From there, where do I go? I would like to run the Borla adjustable catback. But what do I need from the midlengths to the catback? I know I need a y-pipe, but the TSP catted y-pipe is made for LT headers so would not fit correct?
Old 02-18-2009, 11:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 798 Likes on 608 Posts

Shorties would be legal. Macs with cats might sneak by.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Only shorties, anything done to it is illegal before the cats. You will have to switch before a smog test. You can get hooker or bbk shorties, meh. LT's are the way to go and save stock parts.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Dont waste your money on shorties..get LTs w/ all your air equipment and you should be fine.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:42 AM
TECH Regular

Where are you from and where is the car registered at?I don't know how things are now but when I was in the service years ago you didn't have to be a resident of the state and if car was reg and you had drivers lic from your home state you could skate on some of the state laws you were based in.All driving laws such as speed and racing have to be followed but the car was out of their reach.Like I said this was in the past but you might check with base legal unless you are from back east and then you are screwed anyway.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:13 PM
Staging Lane

There are mid-length headers that are C.A.R.B. approved.
If you are going to be a resident of CA. then its best to get familiar with this database.
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...es/amquery.php
It lists what aftermarket parts are approved for which cars.

If you have a choice I would pick another state to live in. This is a marvelous place to visit / vacation, but living here you wind up neck deep in political / environmental BS. Plus the government has wasted all the money and is looking for all of the residents to give them plenty more.

Like a previous poster said, if you are just being stationed here then just keep you home state drivers license and keep the car registered there. Folks stationed here don't have to become residents.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:32 PM
Teching In

What others have said is true, in Calif. the only headers that are legal are shorties. That is because simply moving the location of the cat. is prohibited.
Therefore, no modes before the cat.
Cat backs are fine as long as they are not too loud. Don't ask me how I know. Catbacks are fine from a smog check point but just be careful on the sound level. Some cities like Palo Alto have cops that don't like too much noise. Other than that you should be fine.
Tony
Old 02-19-2009, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

get whatever exhaust you want. just hold onto the stock set up so you can put it on before you get your smog done.

Search this Thread