Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

!Air (quick question)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 07:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question !Air (quick question)

yesterday i yanked the A.I.R out of my boys Trans-Am, I got the hoses out, and the pump from under the air damn, what confuses me is this:

On the drivers side valve cover, the 2 hoses that go into the exhaust meet into this cylindrical distrubution point (i don't know how else to descride it). I pulled the wire harness connector out, and in the back of the conecter were these 2 (very small) plastic hoses; one went into the cylindrical dist point, and the other went to comething else behond the intake mani.

my question is this: the little plastic hose that goes somewhere behind the intake, what is it? I went to tape it off by it origional location and the damn this snapped, so i ended up un-routing it from behind the intake to place it on the passenger side of the car. I was able to put some electrical tape around it to plug the end and i just zip-tied it to the fuel rail, and yanked the fuse for the A.I.R.

Is this how everyone else does it?
Old 02-23-2009, 07:40 AM
TECH Regular

I got be honest, I have no idea what your talking about. When I removed my A.I.R I simply un bolted the two bolts on the driver and pass. side manifolds and pulled the hoses out, and unbolted the pump itself. The only connector I came across was the one that powers the pump itself. And of course I put on block off plates. My cars a 98
Old 02-23-2009, 08:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 7998
I got be honest, I have no idea what your talking about. When I removed my A.I.R I simply un bolted the two bolts on the driver and pass. side manifolds and pulled the hoses out, and unbolted the pump itself. The only connector I came across was the one that powers the pump itself. And of course I put on block off plates. My cars a 98

Those hoses that you pulled out should have been connected to a cylindrical distrubution point on the drivers side of the car before they went into the air pump under the car. The pump under the car feeds this point and the hoses for the exhaust mani's branch out of there to the exhaust mani's. That cylindrical distrubution point had a power connector attached to it (like the one attached to the air pump under the car). That power connector had 2 little plastic hoses attached to it from the back. One little plastic hose went to the cylindrical distrubion point, the other one went behind the intake mani. It WASN'T attached to the intake mani, it was just routed behind it. Nothing went wrong, I just wasn't sure what that was. I just put electrical tape on it to "plug" the little hose as to not leave it open.

His car is a 2000 Trans Am, maybe yours is different.

*its funny; i was able to do a spark plug and wire swap on his car in 2 hrs (he has headers, and it was my first time doing one on an FBody), and THIS is what confuses me???* lol

Last edited by Nightrydass; 02-23-2009 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...al-pics-2.html

Nevermind, i found what i was looking for, and i was correct; it was/is a vac line that needed to be plugged. I have it wrapped up with electrical tape to seal it.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:14 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the link, I was starting to think I forgot something, my car doesn't have that ('98).
Yeah plugs and wires are pretty easy with the a.i.r removed. #8 is still a bitch, I think it took me just as long to do #8 as it did the rest. Anyway glad it all worked out for ya.