Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UD Pulley question

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UD Pulley question

whatsup - ive already looked at search but i needed a more specific answer

i have a 2002 z28 M6 and i want to a put on an UD pulley - i was wondering if my idle would be affected at all - currently i idle at 1050-1100 and i would like it to stay there, or at max dip down 200 rpms. also will this mod cause strain on any other parts on my car ? i mean will this mod force me to replace other parts down the line because of the strain it causes? thanks!
Old 02-23-2009, 11:33 PM
TECH Regular

no it wont strain anything else it just slows down the rest of the accessory belt aka water pump, power steering, alternator and such and it shouldn change your idle. most people like ud pulleys but i kinda shy away cuz of how my car is driven, im not crazy about slowin down any part of the cooling system. the only strain i can think of is gonna be on your arms when you turn at a stop lol
Old 02-24-2009, 01:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it slows down everything else where there is a big change in the way the car drives, I don't think there would be as many people doing it. Go ahead and bolt one on
Old 02-24-2009, 06:58 AM
TECH Regular

Just to clarify - most don't underdrive the A/C though..but I will say most!
Old 02-24-2009, 07:13 AM
TECH Junkie

just changing your pulley should have no affect on your idle...at least not noticably.

i never had a problem with cooling even in south florida heat.

i didn't put on an alternator over drive pulley...which keeps the alt turning near stock speed...and when i have alot of demand on the system i notice the headlights dim at idle. but this is only when i have things like lights, fogs, radio, air vent, wipers....ALL going at the same time....which is rare. and i'm also a manual with an idle of 850 ro 900rpm.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by teke184
just changing your pulley should have no affect on your idle...at least not noticably.

i never had a problem with cooling even in south florida heat.

i didn't put on an alternator over drive pulley...which keeps the alt turning near stock speed...and when i have alot of demand on the system i notice the headlights dim at idle. but this is only when i have things like lights, fogs, radio, air vent, wipers....ALL going at the same time....which is rare. and i'm also a manual with an idle of 850 ro 900rpm.
this is what i wanted to hear.. thanks!!!! now who can point me to the best deal on an UD pulley and the necessary belts =)?
Old 02-24-2009, 11:29 AM
TECH Resident

any of our supporting vendors have pretty competitive pricing and some have free shipping to boot on orders over a 100.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by vsocks1
Just to clarify - most don't underdrive the A/C though..but I will say most!
most what? every UD i have seen underdrive everything, hence the reason for the new AC belt.

Originally Posted by twelver12
the only strain i can think of is gonna be on your arms when you turn at a stop lol

my power steering works fine at a stop with a 700 idle.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:14 AM
TECH Regular

see the lol there at the end, that means laugh out loud aka joke just in case you couldn figure it out k obviously your not gonna have manual steering