Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My car is running like crap!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My car is running like crap!

I don't really know if this is the right section, seeing since I have no idea what's wrong.

When I accelerate slowly it seems like it's struggling and once it shifts into second, it has a "dead spot" at 3k rpm's. It will stay at 3k until I floor it, there's no in-between it's either 3k rpm's or WOT. The engine seems to be shaking more too.

All of my plug wires are connected and I SHOULDN'T have any fouled plugs since they're brand new and I just had it tuned. I've also replaced my fuel filter (which was really nasty) and it didn't seem to help. I about got t-boned crossing the highway today because of it cutting out.
Any ideas?
Old 03-15-2009, 05:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

sounds similar to something mine does sometimes, except it won't go full throttle either...it just creeps along and won't downshift

it does it so sporadic I can't find how to fix it
Old 03-15-2009, 06:23 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by colby72olds
I don't really know if this is the right section, seeing since I have no idea what's wrong.

When I accelerate slowly it seems like it's struggling and once it shifts into second, it has a "dead spot" at 3k rpm's. It will stay at 3k until I floor it, there's no in-between it's either 3k rpm's or WOT. The engine seems to be shaking more too.

All of my plug wires are connected and I SHOULDN'T have any fouled plugs since they're brand new and I just had it tuned. I've also replaced my fuel filter (which was really nasty) and it didn't seem to help. I about got t-boned crossing the highway today because of it cutting out.
Any ideas?
Your fuel injectors can be dirty, especially since your fuel filter was so nasty. Run a full can of Sea Foam through like 1/2 tank of gas.

Dirty MAF?

Bad 02 sensors?

Any codes?
Old 03-15-2009, 07:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got a way to put back in the old tune?
Old 03-15-2009, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS6427
Your fuel injectors can be dirty, especially since your fuel filter was so nasty. Run a full can of Sea Foam through like 1/2 tank of gas.

Dirty MAF?

Bad 02 sensors?

Any codes?

No codes, brand new o2's sensors, and I cleaned the MAF before I got the tune.

I'm leaning more towards the injectors or some kind of fuel problem, because it runs fine for about 45 seconds then starts acting up. I can drive it until it starts studdering, turn the car off, resart it and it drives fine for a few seconds.

And s10V8, I don't think it's the tune. It's ran awesome for about 3 weeks with the new tune. I'll keep it as an option though.

Could my injectors make it run fine, then run like crap?
Old 03-16-2009, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anymore ideas? This morning on the way to work (40 miles) it drove fine after about the first 2 miles. It started acting up on the way to lunch too, then drove fine on the way back?

I put some fuel injector cleaner in my tank last night, so maybe after I use all the gas/cleaner it'll be fixed.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

oh yeah, and in 4th gear at 40 mph it shakes horribley and the speedometer jumps up and down just a little.