Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes squeaking- help me!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 11:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes squeaking- help me!

OK. so i know this isn't the right section but i'm not getting responses in the sections i've already posted. so plz if anyone has advice help me out. i have a 2000 trans am ws6. has 53k on it. i bought it about a year ago and not long after i bought it the brakes started squeaking all the time. had a few places look at it and said maybe just need new pads, so i tried that, didn't work. I just had a new place look at it and said it's the rear rotors and they need replaced. SO i got brand new rear rotors ..brand new pads for the rear rotors andd front, and the brakes STILLL squeak. i've only had the new rotors on 2 days. DO the new rotors just need time to set in? My brakes squeak BADLY around 80% of the time. It's usually when i tap them or push them in half way...if i push hard and all the way down they dont' squeak but at all other times they do, it's sooo annoying when i'm driving through parking lots and even down the road and always hear it!!! PLZ help!
Old 03-15-2009, 12:21 AM
Teching In

i got some drilled/slotted rotors (i know, mistake) and my front driver side always squeaks when coming to a stop. The rotors didn't make a diff neither did new pads. I was told ceramic pads won't squeak but that's what these are. I'm thinking it's a caliper problem if there's something wrong and it's not getting enough fluid to apply the right pressure and is only getting enough pressure when the brakes are applied harder. Any info would be great on this problem!
Old 03-15-2009, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The rotors were never the problem, as rotors CANNOT cause brake noise. It's all in the pads. If you want quiet operation, you need the right pad for the car, not some reverse engineered crap. That means GM pads, or a very high quality expensive aftermarket pad.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:01 PM
Teching In

well i went with Baer brake pads and...it still squeaked just as much. isn't baer a high quality brand?
Old 03-15-2009, 01:09 PM
Staging Lane

yea most aftermarket pads will squeak
Old 03-15-2009, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Ok, so then why were the brakes still squeaking after i had just bought the car? Those weren't aftermarket pads. the car was completely stock. i only changed them after like half a year of being annoyed by squeaking brakes. SO how do i get it to go away ?
Old 03-15-2009, 01:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

they got some disc brake quiet spray at auto parts places that i used when i had a similar situation w my DD. it helped but they still squeak once they warm up good. they never squeaked before and then i replaced pads and rotors and all hell broke loose.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:42 PM
Teching In

so u never got rid of the squeak? there has to be some way to get rid of the squeak ...right?
Old 03-15-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Regular

i've seen brand new brakes squeak. really its what they make the pads out of now and days. my mom bought a brand new car and at 1,000 miles they were squeaking. Sucks...
Old 03-15-2009, 11:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by murrayfan97m
so u never got rid of the squeak? there has to be some way to get rid of the squeak ...right?
they dont tend to squeak when they are cool, so since we have been in the cool months and i dont drive too aggressive i havent been noticing it. we did have a few days that were warm and and after a few stops they started squeaking. **** pisses me off. after the disc brake quiet spray they dont squeak all the time, just after getting warm now. they used to squeak ALL the time.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by murrayfan97m
Ok, so then why were the brakes still squeaking after i had just bought the car? Those weren't aftermarket pads. the car was completely stock. i only changed them after like half a year of being annoyed by squeaking brakes. SO how do i get it to go away ?
You didn't buy the car new, so how do you know the pads were GM originals?

Baer brake pads are considered a high performance aftermarket replacement.

Again, if you want quiet brakes, you need GM pads or a high quality aftermarket replacement - that is NOT a high performance part.

Additionally, there is more to a brake job that just replacing some pads. Makes sure you get new hardware, clean and lube all caliper and pad slides, etc. Any type of brake quiet goop is unnecessary. The cars are not built with it, they don't need it. It only temporarily masks the real problem: a pad with the wrong compound.

Quick Reply: Brakes squeaking- help me!