Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

broke PS pulley!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 09:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default broke PS pulley!!

Pulling all the accessories for my 408. I wasn't sure how to remove the power steering pump so I did a search and found one so when I put the puller on, yep just like I thought, it broke!!! So I've found a new pulley. Thing is there is still that piece on the pump. It seems like its on with a alen key.

Pls let me know....thanks!
Old 03-19-2009, 03:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanSws6

Pulling all the accessories for my 408. I wasn't sure how to remove the power steering pump so I did a search and found one so when I put the puller on, yep just like I thought, it broke!!! So I've found a new pulley. Thing is there is still that piece on the pump. It seems like its on with a alen key.

Pls let me know....thanks!
Just a bare shaft and press-fit pulley. No keys or set screws. If you used a puller, it shouldn't have broken the pulley. I'm having trouble visualizing the breakage, the puller just pulls on the hub, not the pulley...

Russ
Old 03-19-2009, 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can u cut it off?
Old 03-20-2009, 09:25 AM
12 Second Club

A hub is one thing the pulley is another. What seems to be left is a hub. The pulley is plastic so yeah it did crack. I've got to look at it a bit more. I found some pulleys on ebay so I'm sure, I'm not the only one who broke one.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well you seem to be in luck as this just happened to me . The hub is made of metal and has teeth going around it that hold the plastic pulley to it. The Hub part is what slides onto the shaft coming out of the pump.

You have to go and get a pulley puller to get it off. You dont use an allen key to get it off, it has to be done with a puller.

Also so you dont make the same mistake I did 2 times . You have to have a pulley installation tool to install it. You can't beat it on with a hammer . If you do, and it actually goes on without breaking. The next time you go WOT the pulley will come apart and take out some electrical connections with it . Dotn ask me how I know lol.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:17 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks bjamick!

I don't see how I could've pulled off the plastic pulley without it breaking. It seems to have a inner ring that fits inside the hub. I understand now and I will remove the hub. With the installation I have a large vise. I should be able to install the hub back with the vise. Right?
Old 03-20-2009, 09:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanSws6
Thanks bjamick!

I don't see how I could've pulled off the plastic pulley without it breaking. It seems to have a inner ring that fits inside the hub. I understand now and I will remove the hub. With the installation I have a large vise. I should be able to install the hub back with the vise. Right?
This tool removes the pulley by grabbing the hub. All you need to re-install it is a 4" piece of GRADE 8 (3/8" -16) all-thread rod and some nuts and washers. Do not make the mistake of using cheap hardware store all-thread, it will break! Also helps to put some heavy grease between 2 washers to ease the friction. Search my username here, there's a detailed thread on installing the new pulley...

Russ