Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Level of Difficulty Installing Header/ Y-Pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 09:22 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Level of Difficulty Installing Header/ Y-Pipe?

On a scale of 1-10, how difficult is installing LT's and a Y-Pipe?

Im not a grease-monkey, I can work on things and am pretty crafty, but if the level is over 6 I think I'll have a shop do it. They charge like $400, but I don't want to fubar it if it's too difficult.

Help Me Out and Rate The Job.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well...I've done engine swaps and many random tasks that i would say are difficult. A header install I would say is around a 4-5 area.... its not necessarily hard, its just more time consuming, especially if you lack a lift. But if you have a large selection of tools and adapters and extensions you should be able to tackle it.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

it all depends on equipment/tools. it can be done with basic hand tools. but i prefer to use jack stands. i have 6 total stands, 2 of which are pretty big, for trucks. I had the rear in the air about 8 inches (tires to ground) and the front about a foot.

with equipment/tools--probably a 3-4 range

without--maybe a 5-6

then again, i dont pay shops to do **** for me, thats money in your pocket, especially on a header install. all you gotta do is get a little dirty and save 400 bucks which could be used on a cam install.......or something else.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would say maybe a 3 It will take you a few hours but it isn't anything out of this world. You should do it yourself and save the money.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:27 PM
TECH Regular

is it a straight forward install ? Do you have to move th engine or anything else major to install the headers ?
Old 03-29-2009, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

no you shouldn't have to move the motor, unbolt the exhaust. drop the y-pipe, then manifolds. then start putting the headers on.

one piece of advice i found useful--- change the spark plugs BEFORE you put the headers on, yeah with headers its easier to change them, but my headers weren't close to hitting them on the way in. neither was the steering shaft or the oil filter. just try and test fit them and see what works for you.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:41 PM
TECH Resident

I have an in-ground pit for oil changes, getting under cars, etc... Do ya think that'll make it a pretty easy task for me?
Old 03-29-2009, 10:46 PM
TECH Regular

A pit helps, we have one also, if you can get the car right over it, (depending on its size) its not even nessisary to jack the car up, makes it a ton easier trying to get a stuff through the top durring the install too since the car's not in the air.

Its not really hard, its just time consuming. Deffinetly not the funnest thing, good potential for broke bolts and studs, but a good soaking of PB or kroil(my personal favorite) deffinetly helps.

Do it yourself, think what you could do with 400? And hell if you cant come up with anything to do with it, pm me and ill send you my paypall address!

Good luck!
Old 03-29-2009, 11:40 PM
Launching!

Alright thanks for the info. I know in theory it shouldn't be difficult: Remove and Replace. I have a decent amount of tools so I'll take a few hours and knock it out.

And $400 will get me a cam, but what about all the other little stuff that goes along with it?.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

The hardest part of a header install is getting the catback off without cutting it. I give it maybe a 3 in difficulty.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:46 AM
Teching In

depending on the headers... you could run into motor mount clearance. I know that when you switch to Solid mounts that LLP lts are a breeze to put in.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

I helped and watched when some people did my headers. From that perspective it seemed like a fairly easy job... maybe a 3-4. I will be attempting to do my friends headers this spring just from what I learned helping/watching on my headers being done, and I am faily confident that I will be able to do it no problem... I don't work on cars either... tho I am not afraid to get dirty. I would prepare all day just in case though as it is time consuming.

Also, $400 for labor to do headers seems like way too much. I had reputable shops quote me WAY less... so idk whos charging you so much.

Quick Reply: Level of Difficulty Installing Header/ Y-Pipe?