Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cats or NO Cats?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zracer323
fixed it for ya
No, you broke it. Any number of dyno tests have proven (despite what your no doubt carefully calibrated butt-o-meter may say) that modern engines, with the exception of the ones I mentioned, make more power with the cat intact.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya know how much it costs to make a 700+ emissions legal engine and btw you didnt mention any engines that make that much power. It's cheaper just to rip the cats off and reduce exhaust impedence then it is to build up an LS1 to retain its "federal legality" and remain emissions friendly.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

See what I meant about being split on my decision
Old 04-14-2009, 05:55 PM
On The Tree

Yes, I do know how much it costs to build, since I've done it.
Removing the cat on a stock or mostly-stock engine will not improve power. It will only increase emmissions. This has been proven on multiple dyno tests. It's certainly true that when cats first started being used they destroyed power (althought much of that can be blamed on the decrease in static CR that occured at the same time) but on modern engines there is no benefit to removing the cat on any remotely streetable engine.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:03 PM
12 Second Club

High flow cats are the way to go if you can spare the coin. If you remove your cats completly say in a LT and y pipe combo then your exhaust will smell horrible
Old 04-14-2009, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Some say you loose lowend on a stock motor if thats the case IM OUT ON THAT.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Since the Cats only use up 3-5HP (dyno proven) I would not mess with them.
Besides, if you live in a Smog Testing State, if you remove/modify them or move them from stock location.....you are screwed.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

Well Billy Bobs Garage doesnt check anything LOL.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

I would leave them. The exhaust smell of running no cats gets old. Even if it doesn't bother you, it might bother your passengers (girlfriend/wife.... mother?)

Plus if you need to get an emissions inspection every year or so, you may run into problems.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dirty Dog
No, you broke it. Any number of dyno tests have proven (despite what your no doubt carefully calibrated butt-o-meter may say) that modern engines, with the exception of the ones I mentioned, make more power with the cat intact.

If you are going to mod your car at all don't you want the "MAX"?
Old 04-14-2009, 11:14 PM
On The Tree

No. I, and many others on here, already make more power than can be used on street tires.
And I rather like the idea of my children and grandchildren being able to breath without sticking a filter in their nose.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only reason I went with an ORY was the price difference. If money isn't an issue, GET CATS!
Old 04-15-2009, 12:22 AM
TECH Regular

i think all the points have been made, your best option is to run high flow cats if you can afford them
Old 04-15-2009, 12:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry if it's a dumb question...but can you get highflow cats separate from a catted Y? Is there any benefit to doing that? Does that mean you get an ORY and do a lot of cutting, fitting, and welding to get them on?

Last question...is there any value to it, or any cost savings?
Old 04-15-2009, 12:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Dirty Dog
i dynoed mine with the cats on and with the cat dummied and i had a 8hp increase with the cat dummied!!!

Originally Posted by FastKat
I would leave them. The exhaust smell of running no cats gets old. Even if it doesn't bother you, it might bother your passengers (girlfriend/wife.... mother?)

Plus if you need to get an emissions inspection every year or so, you may run into problems.
its called a TUNE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-15-2009, 08:01 AM
On The Tree

Well know more than have done to my car I believe I will leave it as is for until I find a job and can do it the right way, I was just considering taking the cats off and putting pipe in place of them and just run o2 simulators but Ive changed my mind.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep the cats.

If it makes you feel better, put a cutout before them just for ***** and giggles.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just installed True Duals, and i dont have cats as of yet ( i have high flows, just need to get a shop to install them on my system) and i cant say the exhaust smells bad. It smells like an old muscle car. But i do think im going to install them, just so its "closer" to being legal. ha ha And it does rasp a little. which bugs the **** out of me
Old 04-15-2009, 11:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

A lot of people have them and don't have them. The choice is yours. I will most certainly be using them. I don't feel like coming across the right cop that will look for them. Or the inspection shop that will notice they aren't there.

To me, its just safer to have them. I doubt removing them would be worth that much more power. But I could be wrong.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:55 AM
TECH Regular

You all are on crack!
Taking the cats off decreases power? Absolutely not! Without a tune maybe, otherwise not.
The smell is unbearable? No way. If your old yes or if your running the car inside tunnels or garages. The rest of us who run their cars outside barley notice the smell. I had the cats off my GTO for a year and no one was the wiser. Not Mom,Dad, girlfriend, or my uncle had a clue.
Having the cats off is a good way to free up some extra ponies. Yes, It can make your setup raspy (unless your TDs), yes it does smell a little, and yes if your state has emissions don't even think about it. Otherwise id do it. Id recommend a tune too.

Good luck.