Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Bolt Goes in Crooked, Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Header Bolt Goes in Crooked, Help!

I installed the passenger side with no problems, when I did the driver side, the bolts began going in crooked. They are hard to tighten and I'm pretty sure they are going in at a bad angle. I don't want to strip the thread and I can't seem to get them in straight. I'm worried some of the threads are cross threading. Does anyone know what to do?
Old 04-17-2009, 09:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you clean all of the anitseize off of them. Mine done the same thing.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Loosen them all until the manifold can move around some, then start all of them straight, then tighten them. If you still have trouble, you may need to run an 8mm-1.25 tap into the head threads to clean up any damage already done.

Russ
Old 04-18-2009, 06:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Loosen them all until the manifold can move around some, then start all of them straight, then tighten them. If you still have trouble, you may need to run an 8mm-1.25 tap into the head threads to clean up any damage already done.

Russ
X2, thats one of the most important lessons learned being a mechanic, if it has mulitple bolts to fasten it, thread them ALL in first before tightening any or you could line up a hole crooked causing that problem, not saying thats what you did do, but if you did that may be the solution.

Quick Reply: Header Bolt Goes in Crooked, Help!